Female Duck Distress/Issues

malkymick

Hatching
Jul 9, 2019
Hello! My name is McKenna and I am the owner of 2 cayuga ducks (a male((maggie)) and a female((aggie)))... they are my favorite animals but I am developing some inquiries about my females behavior because it looks like it is distressing. They are approaching their first birthday in late april/early may so they are still young.
My current set up for a cage is a coop with a ramp with a dog fence around them and I take them out throughout the day to play in the swamp outside my house and explore the yard.
Recently within the past 3 weeks aggie started laying in the coop and has laid about 1 egg every other day since then. I monitor them from inside and she does not sit on the eggs at all in the day but as an experiment to see if she sat on them at night I covered them in hay and when I would come back in the morning the hay would be brushed off so I am assuming she is sitting on them at night. About after a week of laying eggs when I would go to let them out of the coop she began violently quacking (whole breast shaking, hair on back of neck up, overall distress stance/tone) as if she is in distress and has kept up this behavior every time I go outside to refresh water/feed/put them in the coop, but makes minimal noise when nobody is out there. The quacking is so loud that you can hear it about a block away and I am worried that neighbors are going to start investigating or other canines in the area.
I am stressed for this reason because she seems to be in pain or distress constantly and I do not want her life to be like this and I am genuinely sad. I also fear that she will call in other animals who are hungry and try to get in the coop or a neighbor will file a noise complaint. Do you think she is trying to keep me away from her eggs? What can I do to reduce her stress? Is there something I should do to help her begin sitting on the eggs during the day (locking her in the coop)?
I do not care if she chooses to sit on her eggs or not I just want for her to be happy and play in the leaves like she used to! Please any insight or help would be helpful right now I just want what's best for her!
Thank you
McKenna

I also am worried about my male distressing the female because of how extreme and rough their mating is...I am in so much stress and do not want to end up having to get rid of them because of this. I feel like a very bad duck owner right now and am just in need of some answers or positivity

My ladies quack at me for many reasons, hungry and bored are the 2 most common. Since it’s spring time the male has become more protective over the eggs. What does she do if you were to bring her a treat of frozen peas? Does she still quack at you like that? Males can get pretty aggressive with mating this time of year, does she seem like she is getting beat up at all?

Back
Top Bottom