Female goat drinking her pee?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by harvestmoonGal, Oct 10, 2013.

1. harvestmoonGal

harvestmoonGal Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2013
    She peed today and started to drink it. I can't find anything about female goats drinking their pee, but I know males do.

She's about 9 months old pygmy female. There is two 7 month old nigerian dwarf females with her. She is constantly budding them.
    Can some one tell me why she is drinking her own pee?

2. RHRanch

RHRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

You sure she's a doe? Could she be a hermaphrodite?

3. harvestmoonGal

May 10, 2013
    I'm positive she's a doe. I know they can be gay, I just hope not.

4. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    Huh? What do you mean by gay? Most animals are bi-sexual to some degree meaning they will respond to either sex. I have never heard of gay goats but I have heard of homosexual sheep and that is a real problem with significant economic impact. The ewes don't get bred if the rams are busy chasing each other. Do you think your goat may be a hermaphrodite? That is not the same thing as being gay. Part the lips of the vulva on your goat. If the clitoris is enlarged, like the size of a pea, she is a hermaphrodite or intersex of some sort. Meaning neither male nor female. My experience with goats that are hermaphrodites has not been positive. Mine have been obnoxious and worse than bucks to handle, and the older they get the worse they are.

5. harvestmoonGal

May 10, 2013
    I'm wanting to breed them so I was searching the web and I came to this page

http://fiascofarm.com/goats/breeding.htm

At the bottom of the list is a article for gay/ confused goats. I just didn't know if a female goat drinking her own pee was normal..

6. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

All I can say about Fiasco Farm's information about breeding goats is . . . . Take it with a LARGE grain of salt. . . .

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  7. RHRanch

RHRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

X2

8. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

BUT I am hoping there is an answer for the OP.....

9. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    There is an answer. A simple one. Either the animal is a hermaphrodite or she isn't. If she isn't, there's nothing to worry about. If she comes in heat and cycles normally, obviously she isn't a hermaphrodite. If she acts like a buck and has an enlarged clitoris, she is. In that case, get out the cook book.

10. harvestmoonGal

May 10, 2013
    She has came in to heat before. So this means she's okay?

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by