Female quail aggression

Cattt123

Chirping
Jul 29, 2020
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have three cortunix quail, the two hens grew up together and are nearly a year old.
The male was introduced 6 months ago - he is very submissive and quiet as he was a rescue who had been pecked and bullied half to death.

they have a huge space to run and several places to hide so no issues there.

They’ve all got along really really well this whole time, the male isn’t rough with them or overbreeding them.

Suddenly one female has started doing the aggressive growl/coo whenever she sees the others, chasing and pecking them.

She is the biggest, but I’m not sure if she’s the dominant one. There seems to be contradictory behaviours - she bows and coos to the male, and occasionally to the other female. But she’s always the one to take food from the others etc.
The other female has never bowed or cood to the male or to this female.

I don’t know if it’s coincidence, but the second female (not the aggressor) started to sit on the eggs today too. She’s decided there are enough to start incubating them. The aggressive quail isn’t interested in the eggs at all, and the male is a few metres away. Just seems like coincidence.

I have separated them, and will try reintroducing them at some point. She can stay separate if need be.

just curious if anyone knows what could cause this, and also any tips on reintroduction etc?

There are a number of things that could cause aggression. She could be territorial about something, or she may just be trying to show her dominance. It's hard to know.

For re-introducing them, perhaps give them a few days of 'hands off' time, where they can see but not hurt each other.

There are a number of things that could cause aggression. She could be territorial about something, or she may just be trying to show her dominance. It's hard to know.

For re-introducing them, perhaps give them a few days of 'hands off' time, where they can see but not hurt each other.

Thanks 😊 she seemed to be scared and attacking so I’m not sure if something spooked her?
Hands off time is a good idea, I’ll do that :)

Hi all,

I have three cortunix quail, the two hens grew up together and are nearly a year old.
The male was introduced 6 months ago - he is very submissive and quiet as he was a rescue who had been pecked and bullied half to death.

they have a huge space to run and several places to hide so no issues there.

They’ve all got along really really well this whole time, the male isn’t rough with them or overbreeding them.

Suddenly one female has started doing the aggressive growl/coo whenever she sees the others, chasing and pecking them.

She is the biggest, but I’m not sure if she’s the dominant one. There seems to be contradictory behaviours - she bows and coos to the male, and occasionally to the other female. But she’s always the one to take food from the others etc.
The other female has never bowed or cood to the male or to this female.

I don’t know if it’s coincidence, but the second female (not the aggressor) started to sit on the eggs today too. She’s decided there are enough to start incubating them. The aggressive quail isn’t interested in the eggs at all, and the male is a few metres away. Just seems like coincidence.

I have separated them, and will try reintroducing them at some point. She can stay separate if need be.

just curious if anyone knows what could cause this, and also any tips on reintroduction etc?
Hi. I had 3 too at first. One couple and a female I got after a few months so the first won't be so overwhelmed by the male. The first was the dominant and some times she behaved like a male too, but when she went broody she got "soft" and the second one became so aggressive that she wouldn't even let her come out of the box to eat. I put her separately, with a new flock, I've tried various arrangements and I gave her to a friend with a big coop because she was spreading the aggression. When the first was dominant she was just keeping a pecking order, but she was really mean and harming everybody so I didn't want her genes to pass on. So no. I couldn't find a solution, and I've really tried. ( And she never cared about hatching her eggs)

Back
Top Bottom