Female quail noises

I know the male quail have a crowing style call does the female quail make any other noises besides the cricket sounds.
I assume that you’re talking about the marvellous male Japanese/Coturnix quail crow. The females don’t crow like that but there’s is a little softer, higher pitched and sometimes it’s repetitive and annoying! But I love it anyway! :)

Yes that's right, I seem to have 3 males and 3 females they are hassling the females and I was thinking of taking 2 males out into another cage.

The kettle noise is similar to the egg song of a chicken. Mine do it directly before or after laying, and sometimes when guarding a clutch of eggs. Also, quail will make a brrr or prrr noise to signal that there is a predator in the area, usually a hawk or crows, and sometimes they’ll all make the noise at once and all go still.
The cricket call is more like a locator call I have noticed, and their normal voices are very quiet little peeps. They also do a very long, drawn-out peeeep when they’re being mounted.
My largest jumbo hen tried to crow once, I think because she was stressed out after being brought inside for a foot treatment. It sounded like she had her mouth full, “gooGoogoo” and she hasn’t made it ever again.

Back
Top Bottom