Female quail not getting along

I would still say to invest (or invent!) additional feeders and waterers and split the floors, with something they can’t see through. Or at the very least, a section of solid floor that the one can escape under/on top of to be out of sight of the other.
They don’t have to be fancy, my quail currently have a yogurt container with water and a shallow cat dish for food, in addition to a regular feeder and waterer, just to make sure everyone can access and there’s resource guarding stupidity going on.
im sure quail are the same way as other poultry, some individuals just don’t like others. People too. 🤷🏼‍♀️
Have they always been enemies or is this a new development?
You might have better luck with those little straw hut things they make for small critters, they don’t take up a ton of space. Or cut the ends off a Kleenex box and shove that in there. Lol. The possibilities are endless. xD

I would still say to invest (or invent!) additional feeders and waterers and split the floors, with something they can’t see through. Or at the very least, a section of solid floor that the one can escape under/on top of to be out of sight of the other.
They don’t have to be fancy, my quail currently have a yogurt container with water and a shallow cat dish for food, in addition to a regular feeder and waterer, just to make sure everyone can access and there’s resource guarding stupidity going on.
im sure quail are the same way as other poultry, some individuals just don’t like others. People too. 🤷🏼‍♀️
Have they always been enemies or is this a new development?
You might have better luck with those little straw hut things they make for small critters, they don’t take up a ton of space. Or cut the ends off a Kleenex box and shove that in there. Lol. The possibilities are endless. xD
Thanks! I think I will try to invent something.
I think they have always been enemies. They were the only 2 females out of the 8 that hatched.

Sadly, some quail characters just don't get along with each other. Maybe both are equally dominant and nobody wants to give up their rank. I can only recommend buying some more hens so they can't concentrate on each other anymore and maybe find more fitting friends. Worked for me. :idunno

I added a piece of cardboard that acts as a barrier so that they can be separated from each other if they choose to. It certainly seems to help, but the problem itself has not gotten much better. As soon as one quail catches sight of the other, one of the two crouches down and begins making this aggressive crooning sound, and then they start chasing each other around. It happens every time they see each other, and I know it can't be pleasant for them. I wish I could separate them, but I just don't have any more enclosures, feeders, or waterers.
go to the dollar store. they have a package of two plastic clear cutter boards - you can cut these and attach to the sides of the cage so the quail don't rub against the bars. you can also get 2 plastics or dishes for another feeder & waterer. A total of $3.24

go to the dollar store. they have a package of two plastic clear cutter boards - you can cut these and attach to the sides of the cage so the quail don't rub against the bars. you can also get 2 plastics or dishes for another feeder & waterer. A total of $3.24
Thank you for the recommendation! The problem has long since resolved and the female quail are now fine, but I will definitely keep the clear cutting board idea in mind for the future. :)

Back
Top Bottom