Female rooster!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Ratmommy, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Ratmommy

Ratmommy Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2013
    Tyler, Texas
    I have 2 new cochens approximately 6 months old , 1 black and 1 buff. My black chick is huge (looks like a turkey) while my buff is much smaller. The big girl has decided to crow for now 3 weeks every morning at 7. She crows before my little man does. We call her JJ, short for Joan Jet (singer). She doesn't have a pretty crow, it sounds like a sick goose. Sooo loud!
    We just laugh at her, we figure she was, (as they say) Born this way!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] What makes you so certain that 'she' is not a rooster?

3. Ratmommy

Oct 18, 2013
    Tyler, Texas
    Well, we purchased them, (4 at the time) a buff, a black cochen and 2 black australorps. They were all sold as females. None are laying yet, but they are just turning 6 months old. Her comb is very small. I did some reading up on this phenomenon, turns out, they can absolutely begin to crow. Can't wait to see some eggs appear so I know for sure.

4. sourland

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Crowing hens do exist - generally they show up as older mature birds. It would be highly unusual for a pullet to be crowing. By any chance are the saddle, hackle and tail coverlets starting to become pointy.

5. Ratmommy

Oct 18, 2013
    Tyler, Texas
    I'm a little green on their features, maybe you can help a sister out here. I'm guessing the saddle hackles are somewhere on her chicken face (head)? And pointy tail feathers.. Should I be looking at her backside for theses? Lol. Help!

6. sourland

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hackle feathers are the neck feathers. Saddle feathers cover the sides - before the hips and after/under the wings. Tail coverlets are just prior to the tail juncture - tail feathers on a rooster will also become longer and more curved. In addition to being more pointy than hen feathers, these feathers also tend to become more shiny in a cockerel.

2 people like this.
  7. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  8. micah O

micah O Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2013
    at the computer.
    Sounds like it is messed up[​IMG]

9. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Does sound like you have a little rooster - you might try posting a few clear side and front shots in the What Breed or Gender section of the Forum.

1 person likes this.
  10. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by