Fence height to contain flock

I have similar problems - most of my birds won't go over a 4' fence, but will absolutely jump/fly to any horizontal surface in the 4' to 4' 6" range (meaning the top of the gate), and from there to the other side. A few of them can even balance, briefly, on the top of a graduated livestock fence, and from there over when they are sufficiently motivated (I think that's 10 ga wire).

I finally stopped them by adding a standoff wire on the side they jump from, near the top height of the fence - they hit it on their way to the desired perching spot! Maybe they figure it out eventually - its 14.5 ga wire, so pretty thin - but they've not figured it out yet. With 4 or 5" plastic insulators, you could electrify it, ground your existing fence, and use it as part of your overall predator proteciton system - electric being the only cost effective way to protect large areas.
Someone liked this comment last nite, reminded me of it. A few of the birds have figured out how to defeat the thinner stand-off wires. Stand-off distance is probably critical, and looks to be a trial and error thing.

Someone liked this comment last nite, reminded me of it. A few of the birds have figured out how to defeat the thinner stand-off wires. Stand-off distance is probably critical, and looks to be a trial and error thing.
I did finally have to electrify it - a few of my chickens would flap their wings to offer lift while "walking" up 6' of chicken wire to get at the treats on the other side. The stand off wires, plus a 1.2j charger, and that's no longer an issue.

Back
Top Bottom