Fence height

4' might keep them in if it doesn't just clip one wing (it will throw them off balance when they try to fly) I have a 6' fence and it keeps everything in except 2 americana s that like to eat the cat food. They fly out almost every day but never seem to fly back in. They're usually waiting by the gate about sundown.

Ok. If I only have a 4 ft fence. What kind of chickens should I get that would be more unlikely to get over it ? I've heard some are much more flighty than others

Ok. If I only have a 4 ft fence. What kind of chickens should I get that would be more unlikely to get over it ? I've heard some are much more flighty than others

My run is about 4 ft high. If you clip the feathers on one wing of each bird it will help.

Make sure there is no blood in the shaft of the feather before you clip or your bird may bleed to death.

On some birds you may even have to clip a few secondary flight feathers.

One wing throws the bird off balance and is more effective than trimming equal amounts off both wings.

Feather shafts containing blood.

If it's a timber fence I'm going to say probably not. I've kept mine (not rir) in with 3 foot plastic wire and tomato stakes but the same birds have escaped an 8 foot timber capped fence. I think they will jump further if they can do it in two goes rather than having to fly right over in one because there is nothing to stand on half way.

Breed and personality will also play a part.

Ok, interesting. So your saying it's better not to have a top cap " wood" on top of the fence. Gives them something to aim for. Use just wire instead ??

Chickens like to perch. If they want to, most can fly up pretty high, even full sized breeds. What often happen is that they fly up to the top of the fence to perch and who knows which side they will fly down on? So yes, having wire sticking up enough to keep them from flying up to perch can really help.

I also had trouble confining my hens with a 4 ft fence, but clipping flight feathers and raising the fence by 2 ft kept them from flying out. It is a huge outdoor pen, so covering the top is impossible. I did find that it was necessary to eliminate any timber / wood top on fence sections or gate. Like a previous post stated, they'll fly up to perch on it before flying down. I extended light chicken wire up one foot over the top of the wooden gate to prevent this and it has worked beautifully.

The breed, age, and previous experience also has an impact. Heavier breeds, older hens, and those that have always been confined will be easier. Lighter more agile breeds, younger hens, and those that have free ranged will be more difficult to confine. Three of mine are in the first category and the other three are the second category. So far (and that could change!) I've successfully kept them in the pen - now the flower beds around my house have a chance to flourish this spring!

I've read that. But does that stop them from getting over a 4 ft fence ?
All I can tell you is that it worked with my flock of Golden Comets. I know that bantam and white leghorn chickens are prone to be more flighty than mine and would be harder to confine. Clipping extra secondary feathers on one wing may work on flightier birds. Trail and error is really the only way to know for sure unfortunately.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom