Fence panel coop

ccredeur

In the Brooder
Jan 24, 2022
French Settlement, Louisiana
I am designing my new coop. Our original coop is made out of fence panels that fell down during a hurricane this year. (I live in south Louisiana). During the winter we put tarp up inside the coop for insulation and we just took it down for the summer. The coop is SOLID. The space in between individual fence boards acts as our ventilation. I've got plenty roosting bars made from the base boards we had to pull out of the house (we flooded during the hurricane).

My question is this: Chicken math led me to WAY more chickens than I intended to have. So I bought four new 8x8 premade wood fence panels to build a larger coop. These panels are cheaper than plywood right now.
Before I put this bad boy together, are we thinking the fence panels are a bad idea? I don't see an issue with them. But am I missing something?
The flooring will be plywood with vinyl floor on top. There will be a tin roof.

I am concerned because as I search for ideas and designs, I am finding nothing with fence panels.

We have our chicken coop on the north side of the house and under the house. 2 sides are the fence boards for the backyard fencing with welded wire on the inside and top for protection. We also use tarp in the winter months and sometimes shade parts of the formal run. They free range the back yard during the day. The laying boxes and such are in the under the house coop. those sides are made with wider spaced fence board and a layer of welded wire. You can walk around in it. The chickens have lots of room. I love old fence boards for projects. I have used them to keep the chickens out of the garden (garden gate) Check the articles here on the coop building section, it may give you some ideas of what you want and what you want to avoid.
:frow Welcome from New Orleans. I hope you enjoy our site.
How many chickens will you be keeping in the 8 x 8 area? Will your chickens be able to free range?

They only thing I can think of is drafts between the planks, sounds good otherwise.
Thats why we put tarp and plastic up inside on the walls. It blocked the draft. Ive actually got them rolled up and pinned that way if I need them I can just roll them down. Ill be doing the same in the new coop.
Im worried about coons sticking their little hands in between the fence boards and grabbing my chickens. I have a pet racoon so I know how good they can work those hands, lol.

Thats why we put tarp and plastic up inside on the walls. It blocked the draft. Ive actually got them rolled up and pinned that way if I need them I can just roll them down. Ill be doing the same in the new coop.
Im worried about coons sticking their little hands in between the fence boards and grabbing my chickens. I have a pet racoon so I know how good they can work those hands, lol.
I forget about coons. Can you put a layer of hardware cloth around it? Stucco lath works too and might be cheaper.

We have our chicken coop on the north side of the house and under the house. 2 sides are the fence boards for the backyard fencing with welded wire on the inside and top for protection. We also use tarp in the winter months and sometimes shade parts of the formal run. They free range the back yard during the day. The laying boxes and such are in the under the house coop. those sides are made with wider spaced fence board and a layer of welded wire. You can walk around in it. The chickens have lots of room. I love old fence boards for projects. I have used them to keep the chickens out of the garden (garden gate) Check the articles here on the coop building section, it may give you some ideas of what you want and what you want to avoid.
:frow Welcome from New Orleans. I hope you enjoy our site.
How many chickens will you be keeping in the 8 x 8 area? Will your chickens be able to free range?
Hi! Im in French Settlement, so right down the road!
I have 16 chickens that fit incredibly well in the 4x8 one we have built right now. There is a small run attached to it that they can get some fresh air with.
They only sleep and lay eggs in their coop. They have a large "chicken yard" that they stay in during the day when we are at work that is covered with netting. And when we are home they free range the back yard which is like two acres.
I'll be adding about 7 to the flock as soon as the new coop is built and then like 7 more when they are big enough. They're all my new chicks.

Back
Top Bottom