Fence to keep my pilgram geese in. (Moveable)

Discussion in 'Geese' started by spud1035, Sep 20, 2012.

1. spud1035

spud1035 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2009
    nw ohio
    I want to buy some fencing to keep my geese contained. I would like to buy about 150 ft and think three feet high would be ok. I doesn't need to be charged but not sure if charged fence would be nessessary keep them from getting tangled in it. This fence needs to be moveable, I like keeping them in fresh areas. I looked at premier fencing and that looked good. I haven't had any ground losses as long as I have raised poultry but would be nice to have that option in the future if I moved. I put them in a portable pen at night and I have not had problems with daytime predators except for hawks. Any experience or suggestions, thanks jeff

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  2. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    We use welded wire field fencing, and the gradient size (smaller at the bottom and becoming larger as it moves towards the top) welded wire garden fence for temp areas.

3. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    You should be more concerned with predators (dogs, for example) getting in than geese getting out. It takes very little to contain them. I would not recommend a hot wire- too many stories of geese getting tangled and killed.

If you are going to make a permanent enclosure, find something you don't mind looking at.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    When you say you put them in a portable fence at night is it a safe secure fence with a house to lock them up.? you say you haven't had any problems with preds but you will if you don't have them in secure fencing day and night. It's just a matter of time.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    X 2 on the 'just a matter of time.'

6. Grassman 52

Grassman 52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2012
    Ludlow Mass
    I purchased two sections of premier fencing and used it on my chickens for two years with no issues - This spring a purchased ducks and geese and had a few birds get tangled and one cut bad around the wing - I have since removed the temp fence and relaced everything with welded wire field fencing with no issues.
    The geese and ducks just run into the temp fence and get tangled.

7. spud1035

spud1035 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2009
    nw ohio
    Thanks for the reply's. I'm still at a loss. With grassmans experience it doesn't look like the premier fencing would be a safe option for me. It still needs to be moveable so I don't know how hard it would be to move a metal fence every week or two.

8. Grassman 52

Grassman 52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2012
    Ludlow Mass
    I should add - my ducks and geese were youngsters - 6 to 14 weeks old - I removed the fence before they were full grown, so I am not sure if the temp fence would work better on older (larger) waterfowl.

9. NanaKat

NanaKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

When my geese were smaller, I used one inch chicken wire for their daytime grazing pen they were locked up each night I. The barn. I made it portable by threading 3/4 inch PVC thru the fencing at eight foot intervals and a metal rod every 16 feet that could be hammered into the ground. this was not predator proof. It was close to the house and barn where we could keep an eye on them and my dogs were there to also protect them. I would move it every week. For two geese I sectioned off a 30 by 40 area. No tangles no issues. Now they are big enough to free range.but still stay close to the buildings.

10. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    I am still new to geese. I have a chinese and 4 africans that are about 3 months old. When they were smaller, they were fenced in with welded wire fencing, 2X4" openings. After that they were in the pasture which has field fencing, 4X4" openings and 4' high. I had to move them from the pasture due to some cow issues [​IMG]. So they had a temp pen (very large) that used the same field fencing. The only problem I have had is when one of the geese got scared and ran into some of the welded wire and got it's foot stuck and ripped off a toenail.
    They are now back in the pasture for 2 days (no more cows [​IMG])
    If you got some easily removable posts, I have fiberglass step in posts from TSC on the temp pen. It will keep the fence up and the geese in but 4' fencing will not keep any predators out. There run is 6' with metal t-posts. The field fencing is easy to roll up and move. If you have enough space, you may want to consider setting up 4 permanent pens that they can be rotated through. Basically 1 large square area, divided into 4 smaller areas within. It would cost more to set up but would save you time in the long run.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by