fencing around coop

gossamer

Chirping
13 Years
Jan 14, 2010
hartland
Hi there. How is everyone? I think I'm going to buy this coop for a few laying hens I'm getting in Spring. We live in Wisconsin... I would like the hens to have free range for most of the day ideally(when it is nice out). I am concerned about losing hens to predators though. Do you think I should fence in an area? If so I'm open to fencing suggestions....Below is a link to the coop. Thanks, Jessica
http://www.randallburkey.com/The-Little-Red-Hen-House/productinfo/10616/

cute coop. i would def fence it.
smile.png

Very cute- I like it!
smile.png

I have a smallish completely fenced in area just for when I have to be out of town for the weekend or something. If someone else is caring for our animals, I don't want to take a chance that they are late closing the door or something. So this gives me (and the chickies) a little more security - mostly for when I can't be here.

I just used no-climb horse fence for the whole area (sides and top), with a flat piece of fencing around the outside to prevent digging under. I also attached poultry fence to the sides up to the 4-ft level. AND a strand of hot wire around the top and bottom - just because I am an overprotective mommy.
wink.png

If you just need a small place for them to stretch their legs, you could wrap a 10'x10'x6' dog kennel with hardware cloth. Put it up next to the coop and cut a hole where the chook door is. What ever kind of fence you decide on make sure you cover the top and bury hardware cloth at least 18" down or put a skirt around the bottom to prevent determined predators from getting into the run.

Thanks for the ideas. What exactly did you use for the fence to prevent digging under? In the first post what is a def fence? Thanks! J

Quote:
I think the poster typed def short for definitely.

I use 1/2"x1/2 hardware cloth at the bottom of my runs. Some folks dig them in, however with the hard red clay that I have I use it to skirt mine. The pic below is an example of how I do mine.

42454_hoop_house_a_009.jpg

Edit: wrong link

Last edited:
Thanks. Thought it must be an electrified fence brand or something! Thanks for the info! I appreciate it, J

I let mine free range during the day, however, when we go out of town for a few days or longer, it's nice to have a run that is fenced in so that they can get out during the day and we don't have to worry about predators.

Hello again. I cannot bury a fence in our soil it is pretty much thick clay. Here is what I was thinking... attach some good fencing to wood to make a rectangular enclosure. The bottom would be fenced as well. What do you think? What could I fence the bottom with that would not bother the girl's feet but keep the predators out? Can I use hardware cloth for the top? Thanks! J

Back
Top Bottom