Fencing For My Chickens

irladd

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 20, 2013
Eastleigh, Hants, UK
Hi

I want to put some fencing up so that my chickens have more room to roam. However I don't know how high this fence would need to be. I saw on Omlete that they do a 1.25 metre high fence which according to reviews was not high enough. I live in the UK. Any ideas or thoughts would be truly welcome

Ian.

Chickens might fly higher in the UK than in Florida, but 4 feet (120 cm) works for us. We have had a few escapees but after having a wing clipped and being grounded for a while they seem to forget about it. Those that have escaped have often done so by half-flying half-scrambling up brush or something which is too close to the fence.

As for keeping things out - going under is a bigger risk than over, at least for us.

If you were going to cover it you would want it higher but that would be for you, not for the chickens.

My fence is 4 ft tall. I also ran barbed wire about 4 inches above that.I didn't tighten it though. I let it "droop" a little bit. My chickens don't like landing on something that bounces. It keeps the neighbors Great Dane out and my chickens in :)

Thanks guys for your comments. I had forgotten to say that I have already clipped one wing. So I guess you guys are saying as long as the fence is over 4 feet. We should be ok.

Back
Top Bottom