Fencing & Hardware cloth

RebelsHope

Songster
12 Years
Jul 27, 2007
wisconsin
I have an old dog kennel I want to use for the chickens, but I also want to put hardware cloth around the bottom and like and L so that it goes across the ground too. I am wondering about a few things.

1) how tall should the hardware cloth be up the sides of the the run

2) how long along the ground should it be.

3) does anyone put soil over the hardware cloth on the ground and replant seed, or just use the lawn staples things and let nature take it's course?

Thanks

I have a chain link kennel and this is what I've done.

I built a wooden frame, covered it with hardware cloth, and u-bolted it to the top.

I laid hardware cloth on the ground all around the perimeter so that it sticks out about two and a half feet from the chain link. I covered that with leaves and dirt. (My run is in a wooded area of my yard)

I haven't put hardware cloth around the bottom of the chain link. I did put some plywood against the fence under their coop because they like to lie under there and I was afraid something might reach through. I had some kind of incident when they were just chicks and something may have reached through and grabbed one, but by now, they're about 14 weeks old and much more savvy so I don't worry about that so much anymore. I lock them in their coop at night and nothing can get to them there - I hope!

Hope this helps. So far so good. I also have a motion light.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom