Fencing height

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Stasi, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Stasi

Stasi New Egg

Jul 30, 2008
    Hello - Typically how high of a fence does one need to keep chickens enclosed? We built a large pen so my girls won't eat half the garden this year but they keep getting out. I feel like I'm being outsmarted by my chickens.

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Stasi,
    Welcome to BYC. I think it depends a little on breed and age of chicken. Pullets can fly better than older hens. My heavy breed hens never fly, and don't go over the 4-5 foot fence. I had some hens a few years ago that never crossed the 18" fence around the veggies, but help me if they figured out how to wiggle under or through. I think they are like rats in that they can get through a hole the size of a dime. [​IMG] Good Luck

Imp/Russ

A garden is a great motivator to learn how to fly.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2009
  3. abChicken

abChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Gaston County N.C.
    For my large lot i used 5foot 2x4inch welded wire, covered with 2inch chicken wire keeps them in and hawks out. [​IMG] I also have several small pens for bantam pairs with only 30 inch tall wire. [​IMG]

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    The problem is that it depends on how much they want to get out. Which, you generally won't know except by, you know, seeing if they get out [​IMG]

For not-especially-flying-inclined breeds in a place they enjoy and don't want to seek greener pastures than, 3-4' is often sufficient (at least, most of the time); for chickens more inclined to fly, or less fully thrilled with their world inside the fence, or if there'd be serious repercussions if they *ever* got out, a fence may not be the best strategy.

Plus, remember that the fence also has to keep predators *out*. Dogs can clear 4' easily.

Good luck,

Pat

5. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    The heavy breeds a fence of four foot USUALLY stops them. The leghorns, minorcas, hamburg breeds etc.generally can clear a 6 foot fence no problem.
    Go to Lowes and buy deer netting usually around 12-15 dollars for 7 feet by 100 feet. Also get some light weight zip ties. This stuff is easy to work with and last for quite some time.
    It will stop the flying over the fence and keeps out birds of prey and wild birds if the side fence is bird proof.

6. kycklingmamma

kycklingmamma Chillin' With My Peeps

We have 5' fence around our run and low and behold a few of our chickens, mainly the australorps and the ameracaunas kept on flying over it, so we clipped their wings and they still kept getting over it. I now have an additional 2 feet of birdnetting around the perimeter and finally they stay in. Unfortunately one of our ameracaunas didn't learn until to late, and our Westie licked it to death....

Kycklinmamma

7. a2ms4chickens

a2ms4chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    We have a pen with a 4" fence and my chickens all jump on the gate. We are putting a roof over the pen and putting chicken wire from the fence to the roof to keep them in, and owls, hawks, etc. out.

I have a very large RIR roo who was able to jump on the fence, and then he started crowing. He didn't jump or fly over it, but he could have if he wanted to.

8. lisahaschickens

lisahaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    I highly suggest a wire roof on the run so that they can't get out and things can't in to get them. That will solve the problems all around. Check my blog (link in my signature) for pics of our run with a roof.

9. lisahaschickens

lisahaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    I highly suggest a wire roof on the run so that they can't get out and things can't in to get them. That will solve the problems all around. Check my blog (link in my signature) for pics of our run with a roof.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by