Fencing Issue

What a great ideal, I've been making fence for 60 yrs. & never seen anything like "Wedge-Loc" I use T post also. No need for wood post
There is an old fence in the woods, made with t-posts and barb-wire. The barb-wire is still strong, but the t-posts are almost rusted away under ground. We have very acidic soil on our property, which destroys everything made out of iron very quickly. For most wooden posts, however acidic soil acts like a preservative…

For wood corner posts that can't go in deep, google Rock Jack.

That is what you want.

OR, use this handy dandy, very long but DETAILED fence building guide with lots of drawings to show you how to do it. And it does cover several different "can't dig my posts deep" choices... including rock jacks.

https://www.fs.fed.us/t-d/pubs/pdfpubs/pdf88242803/pdf88242803dpi300.pdf

My area is extremely rocky. Tried using a skidsteer with auger, but a auger isn't going through a rock. I rented a mini excavator and had to dig each hole to get the post 3+' down. Pulled up rocks that were 200lbs and over. Was a pain placing the posts in a hole that was the size of a buick, but there in and not going anywhere. Was my only option where 42 posts needed to be 8' apart.
IMG_20200830_191740196.jpg

My area is extremely rocky. Tried using a skidsteer with auger, but a auger isn't going through a rock. I rented a mini excavator and had to dig each hole to get the post 3+' down. Pulled up rocks that were 200lbs and over. Was a pain placing the posts in a hole that was the size of a buick, but there in and not going anywhere. Was my only option where 42 posts needed to be 8' apart.View attachment 2489228
Add steep hill-site and yellow loam to your rocky ground and you have my situation: I cannot use any machines here, they would either topple or just slide down into the creek. Even the ducks (!!!) have problems to come back up the hill when the ground is really, really wet.

Just figured out that TSC has these plastic posts on sale:
1610692011683.png

I will buy 100 tomorrow and set up a temporary electric fence. What is better to keep dogs out and ducks in: Polywire or Polytape?
I thought running a polytape at the bottom to keep the ducks in and a couple of polywires to keep dogs out, but i have absolutely zero experience with electric fences.

Just figured out that TSC has these plastic posts on sale:
View attachment 2490222
I will buy 100 tomorrow and set up a temporary electric fence. What is better to keep dogs out and ducks in: Polywire or Polytape?
I thought running a polytape at the bottom to keep the ducks in and a couple of polywires to keep dogs out, but i have absolutely zero experience with electric fences.
Polytape is the most visible, so a great choice for horses.. .

Might be perfect for ducks for the same reason. You can get it in a few different colors too.

These 2 pages (yes for a specific brand... but ignore the brand/marketing) have a good explanation as to the different wire and polywire choices, how they are different, how they carry a charge (less conductive material means you need a stronger fence charger for the same level of zap), and what kind of fence charger you need.

https://www.zarebasystems.com/learning-center/compare-electric-fence-supplies/fence-wire

And here is their page for specific wire spacing for dogs:

https://www.zarebasystems.com/learning-center/animal-selector/pets-dogs-cats

Back
Top Bottom