Fencing question - gaden and chicks

Toi-toi

Songster
9 Years
May 12, 2010
Central MA
I have fenced garden and need to do some work.
But if I take chicks out to chick pan, I can't to do yard work.
So I'm thinking to bring chicks to my garden while I'm weeding.

But my garden fence has about 2"x3" rectangle openings and about 3feet high.
My chicks are regular sized 4.5weeks old chicks.
Are they able to sneak out from the openings??

Or they will be busy to peck and don't care about sneaking out??

They can probably sneak out through that fence. They may not want to, though. I'm not sure I would bring them in anyhow, though. They might get used to being in there and find ways to return later in life when they could be very destructive.

Why can't you leave them in their pen? Are you worried about hawks? I built my chicks a little day tractor, with chicken wire over the top. It worked great.

Quote:
Because it's not really pen... It's just 4 posts wrapped up with chicken wires. They easily fly out or sneak out if I'm not in there.
I'm in the pen with them to entertain them and watch them. But sometime they stick out their head and peeps...

Hi,I have 4 week olds,and mine are starting to fly also...definately need wire over the top-nothing permanent-we just cut a piece of the green garden wiring to lay over the top,overhangs a little,but works...you don't want them to fly out and hurt themselves! good luck!

back up your larger wire fence with chicken wire. Why do you have to entertain your chickens... lol, what is it that they find funny or amusing. can you post a video of this entertainment, who knows maybe the rest of us might learn something.

Cheers,

Back
Top Bottom