fencing wire?

ButchGood

Songster
10 Years
Mar 14, 2012
Central Texas
Has anyone used the Blue Hawk deer fencing from Lowes. Its a smaller gauge than the regular welded livestock fencing and has a black vinyl coating. I'm fencing in 1 and a half acres for free range for the chickens and to keep the dog in. Its 6 ft. high so it will also keep the deer out. I'm concerned about the gauge of the wire. Its not printed on the label ad I cant find what gauge it is. If I had to guess I would say its 16 guage, with the vinyl coating probably brings it up to about a 14.
Is this stuff to light to keep the dog in? I know its OK for poultry and I'm not putting any heavy livestock it there. What do you guys think. Go with the nice looking black deer fence, or go get a heavier gauge livestock wire?

I could not find that product, All I found was basically plastic netting, not the vinyl covered metal.

The gauge is 1,0

Type Deer fence
Warranty 1-year
Material Plastic/polyresin
Coating No coating
Usage Animal/Gardening/Utility
Finish Color Black
Gauge 1.0
Roll Height (Inches) 84.0
Roll Length (Feet) 100.0
Made in the USA Yes
Mesh Shape Rectangle
Mesh Size 3/4" x 1"

So I would say no, not unless the dog is barrier trained.

No I wouldn't use that myself. The stuff I'm looking at is wire fencing. its just has a black vinyl coating. I'm going out tonight and compare again. I'm bringing something home tonight.

6 ft is a bit marginal. Maybe it will keep deer out, maybe it won't.

My son has 7 ft game fence to keep the deer out. I've got 6 ft chain link, which does seem to work, maybe because they can't get a good reading on how high it is because there are no cross bars.

I don't like welded wire because it will break when you stretch it. If it is oriental wire you won't be able to tighten it at all; the welds will just pop off.

I haven't seen the wire you are considering, so can't really give an opinion of it. Are the squares small enough to keep the chickens inside the fence?

The 7 ft fence seems to keep the coyotes out. I haven't had them come over my 6 ft fence but I have friends (more than one) who have had coyotes walking along the top of their 6 ft fence.

I used American made welded wire. I strected the crap out of it. Looks really good. I have had a 6 ft fence around my garden for 19 years. About 1/8 of an acre. I only had one deer in all that time that made it over the top. I left the gate open one night and about 8 deer went in. I went out to flush them out and none of them could make it over the top. I have a group of about 30 deer that used to come through the back and hit up a feeder that I have set up. Last night I watched them walk the fence line. I think Im pretty safe with the 6 ft fence for these Central Texas deer. An adult buck goes maybe 120 lbs.
I opened up the chicken run yesterday so the chickens could take advantage or the 1.5 fenced acreage. They didn't go 10' away from the coop and run. Funny. I realy dont blame them. there is a ton of stuff for them to scratch and eat close by.

Back
Top Bottom