Fencing

llandry

Songster
9 Years
May 8, 2012
jersey shore, nj
I have a coop and covered run area for 14 bantams. I'm looking to put up- nothing fancy- some sort of fenced enclosure just so I can let them out to free range a bit but still keep them contained.

Trying to keep it as simple as possible, I was just thinking a few stakes and plastic fencing wrapped around.

Anyone have something similar they did that worked well?

I have lots of different predators in my area so I went all out and predator proofed my run. It has a roof and hardware cloth on all sides with an apron. So this will protect them from areal, land, and underground attacks.

My coop and run is completely preditor proof. Just looking for a simple fence to let the ladies out for short periods while I'm out doing yard work. This little fenced area doesn't have to be anything sturdy or secure. It's really just to keep them a bit contained.

I do let mine free range during the day because I have a rooster that keeps and eye out for predators.
The fence will have to be tall enough so that the chickens don't fly over it, someone just recently on her posted that their 4' fence wasn't high enough and was looking for idea. The solution that would work best for them was to clip their wings so that they could fly out.
I personally don't clip my chicken's wings because I want them to be able to quickly make it back to the coop if needed.

I bought plastic fencing with stakes to use while introducing new gals to old gals. It worked well and I like that I was able to move it around. Its about three feet high and everyone stayed on their side. We bought at Home Depot its was around $30 for 20 or so feet.

I bought plastic fencing with stakes to use while introducing new gals to old gals. It worked well and I like that I was able to move it around. Its about three feet high and everyone stayed on their side. We bought at Home Depot its was around $30 for 20 or so feet.
Thays what I'm going to do too. Nothing fancy but works.
Thanks!

I've got 48" electric poultry netting from Premier 1 with a strong, solar-powered charger. My California White can fly out any time she wants to.

But it will keep lose neighborhood dogs out.

Are your chickens tame enough to be put back into the run when you want to do it? If not, you'll need something strong enough to protect them until they head home to the coop at dark.

Back
Top Bottom