"Feral" cat colony (TNR).

:gigYou're right...the first one is fairly harmless, as cats always land on their feet! :lau
There is actually a cat safe fencing that is kinda a cat-a-pult. It is actually to contain pet cats so obviously designed to be safe... It is extra panels at the top of the fence that are at a 45 degree angle to the inside so the cat can't just jump straight up, they have to back up some, then it's on spring hinges so if they jump up and grab that top part it folds down and dumps them back into the yard!

We have what was a ferral cat collony all are fixed and chipped threw the Trap Nuter Rrlease program.. I have lost 2 8 week old chicks, cat had one of my hens pinned, no injorys, this morning. All has happend during free range time. Needing natural and non harmful ways to deter the cats from coming in my yard.
They are feral cats, I know you stated non harmful ways but I don't know of any while free ranging. That is the risk you take. I got tired of loosing birds to predators so my birds have nice large safe pens. Even when I have opened the gates for them to come out they prefer to stay in their pens. My land is mostly open pasture so there is little shade and the pens all have nice shade trees in them and rain/shade tables for them to get under. I give the birds grass clippings in the summer months to scratch through and in the winter alfalfa along with their scratch/grains/seeds treats and some greens from the gardens. They are very happy birds but birds like routines and once you have established one they are fine. When I stopped free ranging I put a flock block under each rain/shade table and the birds were content to peck at it. It kept them occupied then they would go and dust bathe for awhile. I personally would eliminate the cats since they are feral and apparently no one wants them. Maybe someone with a rat or mouse infestation might take them. I have caught some in my live traps and let them go but they haven't bothered my birds, but if they do I will eliminate them. I'm sure I seem heartless but if a cat kills my birds. Good luck...

They are feral cats, I know you stated non harmful ways but I don't know of any while free ranging. That is the risk you take. I got tired of loosing birds to predators so my birds have nice large safe pens. Even when I have opened the gates for them to come out they prefer to stay in their pens. My land is mostly open pasture so there is little shade and the pens all have nice shade trees in them and rain/shade tables for them to get under. I give the birds grass clippings in the summer months to scratch through and in the winter alfalfa along with their scratch/grains/seeds treats and some greens from the gardens. They are very happy birds but birds like routines and once you have established one they are fine. When I stopped free ranging I put a flock block under each rain/shade table and the birds were content to peck at it. It kept them occupied then they would go and dust bathe for awhile. I personally would eliminate the cats since they are feral and apparently no one wants them. Maybe someone with a rat or mouse infestation might take them. I have caught some in my live traps and let them go but they haven't bothered my birds, but if they do I will eliminate them. I'm sure I seem heartless but if a cat kills my birds. Good luck...
They are no longer truly ferral the lady that lives behind us is part of our city's TNR program.. I have since been contacted by the "manager" for lack of better word. They have recently found property in the country and are relocating the entire colony. She has also moved the feeding station to the outher side of her home to try and help with the situation..

Back
Top Bottom