Feral cats - chicken predators?

Cats don't normally bother adult chickens unless they are very hungry. Personally I have a cat who will hunt and kill just about anything, including rabbits her own size. But she won't touch the chickens.
I think some of y'all on here are cruel, saying that it's okay to shoot the cat. It's not.
In my opinion, the only reason OP should kill a cat is if they have recently lost chickens to a predator, and see the cat hanging around the chickens. In that case I would set the trap and take cat to animal control, who would then take care of it however seen fit. Normally cats in my county are not killed. They even rehome ferals quite often as barn cats after they get fixed.
If, and only if, I couldn't catch the cat I would kill it. Trust me, I have had to shoot a cat before.. but that was AFTER trying to catch it first.

Please listen to me, Rod.. That cat has a life too. You have no idea it's reason for being where it was. It could have just been drawn to your trap bait, uninterested in your chickens completely. I would hate to think a life was ended for no reason. I would take it to animal control.

Cats don't normally bother adult chickens unless they are very hungry. Personally I have a cat who will hunt and kill just about anything, including rabbits her own size. But she won't touch the chickens.
I think some of y'all on here are cruel, saying that it's okay to shoot the cat. It's not.
In my opinion, the only reason OP should kill a cat is if they have recently lost chickens to a predator, and see the cat hanging around the chickens. In that case I would set the trap and take cat to animal control, who would then take care of it however seen fit. Normally cats in my county are not killed. They even rehome ferals quite often as barn cats after they get fixed.
If, and only if, I couldn't catch the cat I would kill it. Trust me, I have had to shoot a cat before.. but that was AFTER trying to catch it first.

Please listen to me, Rod.. That cat has a life too. You have no idea it's reason for being where it was. It could have just been drawn to your trap bait, uninterested in your chickens completely. I would hate to think a life was ended for no reason. I would take it to animal control.
If the animal is on your property and it is not supposed to be then it is not cruel to kill it, in my opinion. My birds are the same as my bogs, and are looked at like family the same as my wife and kids which mean I will protect them from any threat. Having issues with them in the past is the reason they die on my property. I give them a chance to stay off the property if not that's there choice. It doesn't make me cruel it makes me not weak hearted. What's cruel is letting a animal you have takin responsibility for die because of negligence

Cats eat mice and rats. Could that have been the reason it was there? I've had many cats around my chickens and they don't bother them. Untended chicks, maybe.. But I'd say if a cat got to some chicks then that would be the fault of the person responsible for them. And if you don't have a safe coop and run that could very well be the case. Either way, feral cats are a problem, because of one thing. People. Spay and neuter! Shooting the cat would be the same as taking the cat to the shelter in my book. Unless it's a really friendly one. I have a huge heart when it comes to animals and I have took in a lot of cats that end up suffering and dying because of sickness. It's sad but nothing is going to change unless we as people, change first.

Also cats can attract larger animals that will be a problem. So. It is really a no win situation. Starts and ends with being a decent human being...

You never really know with cats and what they are willing to hunt, each one is different. I have 3 adult feral cats around and a juvenile one, they have never killed a chicken or attacked one. they sit in with the chickens when they rest in the brush and they catch chipmunks when they come out, the chipmunks think it is safe because all the chickens are so calm. I also have a lot of escaped rabbits around, they don't mess with the adults but like to eat the babies, that does not bother me though. Some feral cats can kill surprisingly large animals though, I have seen them kill adult rabbits and my friend had one that killed several ducks and a young goose.

My chickens coop and they free range a big area in the country, a place where people love to drop off cats they don't want anymore. We use a spay/neuter/release (TNR) program. Not ever has even one gone after my girls. Ive seen them hunch down in stalking posture, but never attempt to go any further, My birds don't even pay attention to them, they don't make any alarm calls. Sometimes I will even find one in the coop sleeping.

Ive seen my girls chase the cats once in awhile tho and its hilarious.
Baby chicks may be a different issue. Contact your local TNR program.

Back
Top Bottom