Feral Cats

Steven727

Chirping
Oct 13, 2020
I am getting ready for my Chicken Coop and I have 25' x 7' Dog Kennel on the side of my garage that I am going to put my Coop in and I have watch a bunch of videos on how to predator proof it. My question to all is that we have a few Feral cats in our area and I was wondering what concerns and tips you all have that I can protect my flock from them. Thank in advance.

I am getting ready for my Chicken Coop and I have 25' x 7' Dog Kennel on the side of my garage that I am going to put my Coop in and I have watch a bunch of videos on how to predator proof it. My question to all is that we have a few Feral cats in our area and I was wondering what concerns and tips you all have that I can protect my flock from them. Thank in advance.
Full size chickens have little to fear from feral cats. There is a colony of about 40 ferals living within 1/4 mile of my home. I used to see the random cat wander through my back yard. I haven't seen any in the past year. I've also seen my flock chase them off the property. They don't pass through any more.
Chicks are a different matter.

I use Have a Heart Traps to catch feral cats but then you have to figure out what to do with the feral cat. Do you have an optimal place to release feral cats? Usually I like to release a feral cat near a rural garbage landfill because those areas have rodent problems and Feral Cats will improve the situation there. Also catching feral cats can be tricky because it might not be feral it might be someones pet (fat or on the heavy side of healthy)... There are also strays, once a pet but it ran away or was left behind, I try to find people to adopt those if I catch them. Those are usually friendly scrawny cats. Look Feral but act like pets.

Chickens can fight off a well fed cat easily, a hungry cat will kill and eat most chickens.

We have several that have roamed the wooded lot behind my house and in the neighborhood. They've come in the yard around the coop/run but mainly to seek shelter, but then again I have two dogs that LOVE to chase strange cats that they smell or see, so the feral cats don't come around the coop/run much. Now my front porch and cars are another story :mad:

Back
Top Bottom