Feral chickens..I think... PIC ADDED

taraann81

Songster
10 Years
Apr 9, 2009
Ontario
This isn't really a question nor really a story. Just an odd thing that I wanted to share and didn't know what section to put it in...

My mom had a live trap set up to catch the opossums that have been eating her cat food. She called me the other day and said she caught a chicken..

My mom lives on a rural road. No chickens at any of the houses on her road. The closest flock is 2km away and has Rhose island reds.

Anyways I went to her house and there is a smallish, not bantam sized but smaller than my barred rocks with diiferent stance chicken(I think hen) in her live trap. As I walked up to the chicken went into a crazy panic obviously very unused to people it even bit me repeatedly as I took it out of the cage. Its now in quarantine in a rabbit cage.

A day later, she calls me and says she has another one...same coloration but possibly a cock. The dern thing tried to bite me and only succeeded in grabbing my sweatshirt and held on and chomped down very hard...glad I have quick hands.

I will try to get pics but my usb port is tempermental.

Both of these chickens are mostly brown with a whiteish head..my guess is some sort of game or game cross. Does this color combination ring any bells on possible breed?

Just a strange sort of story.... I've brought many strays home before but these are my first stray chickens....I told her to reset the trap and see what else she catches...I'm hoping for some brahmas;)
27498_100_1225.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Your last sentence cracked me up! If you want to catch some LF brahmas, you better set a bigger trap! My brahmas are monster-sized, especially my roo.

Quote:
Your last sentence cracked me up! If you want to catch some LF brahmas, you better set a bigger trap! My brahmas are monster-sized, especially my roo.

Yes I have 4 standard light Brahmas..they are my favorite chickens I have ever had! I may segregate them and collect hatching eggs in the spring...just seems easier to catch some
wink.png

I have had the same experience. I caught 3, 2 hens and a roo. The roo is wonderful and the two hens are prolific white egg layers. I call them my "Road Runners".

wow feral chickens in Ontario? I would of though something would of ate them like a fox, raccoon, bear, fisher, coyote, stray dog, did I miss anything? I can't imagine a chicken surviving around where I live and its not so different from Ontario. Those are some hearty chickens to survive in the wild.

Back
Top Bottom