Feral chickens

Originally I was drawn to the heavier breeds-I had orpingtons, marans, jersey giants, sussex, New Hampshires and easter eggers.They went throught those like a knife goes through butter.

My experience exactly. I also noticed that pullets, even though they seemed faster and could fly farther, didn't do was well as the laying hens which surprised me. I guess age counts for something.​

Quote:
Doesn't happen. I've had chickens free ranging in my vineyard for 3 years now and they eat very few grapes, even when they're ripe at 25% sugar. I suffer more damage from pileated woodpeckers. The vines are on a trellis system that keep the bunches 42" off the ground. I think there is so much else to distract them that they never make the effort to go after the grapes. I have an organic farm with lots of plants growing on the vineyard floor. Wild turkeys that fly into the vineyard are another matter and I really have to get after them.

Other animals that might scare away predators (geese, donkey, goats, etc.) would damage the vines. I could always keep dogs but that's a hassle I'm trying to avoid. I don't mind loosing a hen occassioally I only want to keep the kind that will have the best shot at survival. Looking forward to see how the Fayoumis do.

Ian

I have a friend who has 40 acres of organic Pinot Noir, Pinot Grigio, and some Spanish grapes- Primavera, maybe?- and she's got Ringneck and Szechuan pheasants which help with insect control, and barn cats for the gophers and fieldmice. It seems to work pretty well, although there was a heavy loss of both pheasants and cats a couple of years ago when a coyote den (since evicted) got established in a new stormwater pond close to her.

I also have a coop with auto door (the best two hundred bucks I have spent in a long time!)

I couldn't keep chickens without one. I would have spend that amount in a hot minute except I didn't have electricity nearby so had to make one using power form a water line. I just started another post on my 'float' coop door. If anyone's interested here's the link.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=554481

I missed this thread when it was hot.

I have always kept breeding groups of American games under semi-feral conditions. Mine at least are not inferior (in respects to smarts) to any breed out there (including aseels) and they can fly 200 feet just to get from one place to another because they do not want to get their feet cold. When pushed by predator they can go 3 times farther with ease. Most of my existing line derived from flock that was semi-feral for about 15 years but even this line can not go truelly feral for long duration / permanently, at least at my lattitude. A longer breeding season with less snow might enable.

They still are not immune to great horned owls at night when roosting in trees and are vulnerable to foxes and coyotes through about 12 weeks even though they can easily fly above reach. My games are better at avoiding hawks than red jungle fowl as my games tend to use over better and larger size may give hawks some pause about attacking. Hens on nest and brooding chicks extremely vulnerable.

Having a dog makes a huge difference in whether population will be selfsustaining. Dog keeps racoons out and pressure from coyotes and foxes light.

Cover, cover, cover! A loft with hay does not hurt.

Not all American games similar in regards to surviving on walk which is what you are really talking about. Some appear to be idiots or not air worthy when it counts.

Quote:
Predator management generally less costly and allows a more natural and healthier landscape to persist.

Some chicken breeds can persist with lower intensity management. Other breeds with out proper anti-predator responses require as you put it, localized "elimination" which is a never ending battle.

Last edited:
chickens would probably not survive here winters are pretty brutal .its pretty tough for us to over winter them. it got down to - 25 for few days wind chills and 4 & 5 ft snow drifts lasted for couple weeks..turkeys have it pretty tough here too..people have found flock of them dead hold up under some trees..anything could happen but it would be rough for anything not set up for our winters.

Mine can handle cold, but not prolonged food deprivation. Especially true for immature and those in poor feather. Having access to a building or heavy brush pile makes a huge difference. Conifer trees also good but they do not afford protection from owls and racoons.

Quote:
Predator management generally less costly and allows a more natural and healthier landscape to persist.

Some chicken breeds can persist with lower intensity management. Other breeds with out proper anti-predator responses require as you put it, localized "elimination" which is a never ending battle.

It's a truism that one cannot hunt out coyotes or raccoons. All you can hope for is a temporary shortage. Better to have a weedburner wire that teaches the ones you will always have that it's not worth it to venture on to your place or a livestock guard dog that enforces your boundaries than to try to hunt out commensal predators.

Avian predators are another matter; I've heard that suspending monofilament line at close intervals over the area you wish to protect works, but that sounds like a mess to me. Better to have a protected night roost against owls and sufficient human presence to make hawks wary.

Quote:
Predator control is not something I would consider. I depend on them to keep gopher, squirrel, rabbit, mouse, skunk, wild turkey, etc. populations under control. My vineyard is certified organic and many substances used in predator control would void that certification. However, I've found that there is nothing like a .22 hollow point to keep the turkey population down. Coyotes and bobcats do get them but not often enough. I don't mind sacrificing a hen now and then so long as I don't get wiped out.

Back
Top Bottom