Feral rooster integration

Red Mangrove

Songster
Jan 25, 2023
Long story short I have an outdoor flock of around 100 "extreme free-range" chickens. Maybe 40 of those are young adults and the rest are chicks of various ages

For the past three months I've had a single broodcock here, an Indio Gigante that's around one year old

Two days ago I acquired 4 Egyptian Fayoumi. 1 male, 3 females. All between six and nine months of age

Despite being raised in a coop the Fayoumi are extremely feral to the point I think if their wings weren't clipped by the previous owner they would have flown away by now

Right now there's an uneasy truse between the two roosters, but the Fayoumi exist on the extreme periphery of my land and it feels like they may never integrate properly without my direct assistance

Is it a good idea to put the Fayoumi rooster in sick bay / chicken jail for a week so that his sisters will integrate with my flock while their brother is incarcerated?

Any advice is appreciated, particularly so from those familiar with free-ranging

I was in a similar situation. Like yours, mine free range too, and a few weeks ago, someone tossed a gamecock over the fence. Since he was hanging out on the periphery, I decided it would be best to catch him and stick him in a cage for a week, so that's what I did. Once released, there was the usual pecking order stuff, but after a few days, he was integrated.

I was in a similar situation. Like yours, mine free range too, and a few weeks ago, someone tossed a gamecock over the fence. Since he was hanging out on the periphery, I decided it would be best to catch him and stick him in a cage for a week, so that's what I did. Once released, there was the usual pecking order stuff, but after a few days, he was integrated.
Worked perfect for me also. My fayoumi has been perfectly integrated for close to a month now

Back
Top Bottom