Fermented Chicken Feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Sneaky Chicken, Sep 14, 2016.

1. Sneaky Chicken

Sneaky Chicken Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2016
    The Garden State
    Ive seen several recipes on my Pinterest for fermented chicken feed and read on the blogs the benefits. Has anyone tried this? Does it seem to make any difference, good or bad?

2. Pendragonz

Pendragonz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2015
    NWA
    I've fed it to meat chickens, and laying hens. I noticed with the meat chickens that the poo wasn't nearly as stinky as everyone had said that it would be. The poos were solid, and not nasty diarrhea. When I processed them the smell was not as bad also as I had heard that it would be. Now with my laying hens they seem to be doing well with it. It seems that they don't eat nearly as much when fed fermented feed. Some people claim that they feed 1/3 to 1/2 as much feed. I highly recommend it. If you are feeding commercial chicken feed then there really is no recipe. Just soak the food for a couple of days and feed it.

1 person likes this.
  3. MandalaMaMa

MandalaMaMa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2013
    southern Oregon coast

This is an excellent place to learn about ferment food. I know the thread is long and can be overwhelming but it is full of great information. Once I learned about ferment food 3 years ago that's all I feed my girls. Twice a day -- morning and night. I even start my chicks on it as soon as I get them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by