Fermented Coconut Pulp + Rice Bran + Layer Feed

kaisabaijai

In the Brooder
7 Years
Dec 12, 2012
Thailand
I have started using the fermented feed method to feed my layers.

I can't get grains such as barley and oats but i can get a lot of Rice Bran, corn and coconut pulp.

The coconut and Rice bran have a lot of extra health benefits along with the protein, minerals and vitamins so i would like to use as much of it as I can.

I am interested in others opinions on what % of each to include in the feed.

My costs are (29 baht is US$1)

18% Layer feed 15 baht per KG
Corn 12 baht per KG
Rice Bran 6 baht per KG
Coconut Pulp 2 baht per KG

Obviously from a cost perspective I would like to give them 100% cocunut pulp but I do not think that would fill all of their nutritional needs.

Any ideas?????

I just found some info on the cocofeed and why it is better than soy based feeds.

"Several poultry farmers have tested the feed side by side with soy-based organic feed. The chickens fed the Cocofeed grew out very well. Although they typically took up to an extra week to reach the same weight as those fed the soy-based feeds, the chickens feed the coconut feed showed other advantages: their fat and meat contained lauric acid, a medium chain fatty acid found in coconut oil and human breast milk, known to have many health benefits."
"With the Institute for Agriculture and Trade Policy's recent report that 55% of store-bought chicken and 100% of restaurant chicken they tested contained arsenic, as well as growing fears about the spread of poultry diseases, chickens raised outdoors and fed the coconut-based feed will provide health-conscious consumers with a premium poultry alternative."

full article here

So how much coconut pulp do I need to include in the feed to get these benefits and still be able to get the right amount of other nutrients to lay eggs?

Since no one has chimed in on this thread with any advice I am going to post what i decided to do.

I have no idea what the ingredients are for the layer feed since they are not listed on the bag but I do know that it is 18% protein and has some cracked corn in it.

My fermented mix at this time is as follows.

7.5 kgs Layer feed
2.5 kgs cracked corn
5 kg Coconut pulp
5 kg Rice Bran

20 kg dry weight.

Plus I give them whatever greens I get free from the market every day. Well not exactly free since it cost me about $2 to drive there and back.

They all have access to free range but it is around 100F here the last few days they only free range for a few hours a day. The ones that will free range that is.

This is in response to the post by

Where do you get your coconut pulp and rice bran? those sound like good ingredients. I am looking to source them.

the corn would not be too good an ingredient, as it is almost all GMO worldwide. You would want to make sure that all the ingredients are not GMO, I dont know what is in your layer feed.

Since no one has chimed in on this thread with any advice I am going to post what i decided to do.

I have no idea what the ingredients are for the layer feed since they are not listed on the bag but I do know that it is 18% protein and has some cracked corn in it.

My fermented mix at this time is as follows.

7.5 kgs Layer feed
2.5 kgs cracked corn
5 kg Coconut pulp
5 kg Rice Bran

20 kg dry weight.

Plus I give them whatever greens I get free from the market every day. Well not exactly free since it cost me about $2 to drive there and back.

They all have access to free range but it is around 100F here the last few days they only free range for a few hours a day. The ones that will free range that is.

If you're still around on BYC here, how did your feed mix turn out? I've learned a tiny bit about chicken nutrition and would be happy to share. Sorry, I don't know much about the coconut pulp, though.

hi, i opted to get notified anytime someone posts to this thread... so i can get your message anytime you send it. I dont have any chickens at this time. i'm currently considering getting couturnix quail (pharaoh quail). then some chickens later. I'd love to hear what you have learned! thanks so much for the offer.

Back
Top Bottom