Fermented feed disadvantage

LaurenRitz

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Nov 7, 2022
Kansas
I have been giving my chickens fermented food and they love it. Up till now I have found no disadvantages, but with the morning's temperature at -4 F, I found out it freezes!

I have no idea how cold it is in their coop, but their heated watered can't keep up. It never occurred to me that liquid feed could also freeze.

Bummer. Yeah, maybe just give less during this cold snap so they eat it all before it freezes. If it still freezes up, maybe just switch back to dry feed until things warm up.

That's crazy the heated waterer can't keep up. We haven't had negative temps yet but are supposed to have some tomorrow. I wonder if my heated waterer will also struggle.

Yup FF will freeze, so I give my flock less right now so they can eat as much as possibly before it freezes solid. Need to remember to bring in the bowls right away too, as I left them out yesterday afternoon and they froze to the concrete ledge I left them on LOL.

I have maybe 3 or 4 mounds of frozen fermented feed. My pullets will eat it when it warms up a little. It is not going to waste. It seems when its so cold out they won't really eat much of it. I wonder if they just do not want to get their beaks wet when its -25°F ?

Back
Top Bottom