Fermented Feed question

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Mudsow, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Mudsow

Mudsow Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2009
    I just started using fermented feed, and they L O V E it. I only have 2 chickens. My question is how long can I add feed to the same mix before I have to change the solution. I mean, I use a small container that sits on my counter. I scoop some out each day for them and replace it with a scoop of dry to continue fermenting, so it's an ongoing cycle.

Will it go "bad" or because it's fermenting will it keep since I'm replenishing it daily.

Mudsow

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

You never have to replace it :)

Just add more feed and water as needed and stir.

3. Mudsow

Aug 6, 2009
    That's what I was thinking, since it is fermenting, and being replenished, that the organisms would sustain life. Once left sitting without fresh feed added, it would use up it's food supply and die off, THEN it would get nasty.

Thanks. I still can't believe how much the like it. And I KNOW they're getting all the nutrients because even the fine particles of the mash are all mixed in and they no longer just pick out what they like. They eat the entire bowl. I can certainly see how that will save money in the long run AND make for healthier chickens.

Mudsow

4. aoxa

:thumbsup

Best food decision I ever made. Though I need to figure out what to do for winter, as it freezes overnight.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  5. pupsicle

pupsicle Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2008
    You only need to start over if it gets fuzzy or changes color -- that means it's being colonized by bad bacteria, not good.

(Never thought that all the stuff I know about fermenting people food would translate into fermenting food for the chooks....)

6. Roxannemc

Roxannemc Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    SE Missouri
    I have been giving mine this fermented fot a week but really cant tell when its fermented.Today it looked sort of different but i hadthis batch like thick soup. what should the consistance be?I have it in the room with my brooders which is warmer than my house.Good or bad?They do love it I make it and use it a day or2 later and readd crumbles to the leftover juice

7. Mudsow

Aug 6, 2009
    If you touch it, bubbles will rise. That's how I can tell. I don't have much of a sense of smell, so bubbles is a good indicator of fermentation happening.

8. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I think I am going to start doing this with the new year. Do you usually put one days worth out for the birds at a time or can you do more than that?

9. aoxa

Two days worth at least. Maybe even more if you can stir it no problem :)

Yay for FF! Glad you will be jumping on board!!

10. Roxannemc

Roxannemc Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    SE Missouri
    Oh good i can do that! .Yes i smell but vinegary sort of ..sometimes ....not sure about the smell either

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by