Fermented feed

thanks for your reply! you started this right from day one? i don't think my feed store carries much... starter, layer, grower... and oats, wheat and barley...

i just don't really understand the fermenting part... like why ferment chick starter rather than giving it to them with water?

thanks for your reply! you started this right from day one? i don't think my feed store carries much... starter, layer, grower... and oats, wheat and barley...

i just don't really understand the fermenting part... like why ferment chick starter rather than giving it to them with water?

It's really simple. It allows your chicks to digest more of the feed. More nutrients. Better for them. Just add water to a bucket 1/2 full of feed (which ever you choose) Stir and add more water later to a consistancy of thick oatmeal. Stir and cover with a towel. Stir daily for 4-5 days. Then feed. Take some of it 4-5 cups and add to another bucket and start over. It will ferment overnight usually. Easy peasy. Saves money, it doesn't waste thrown out feed and you don't have to water as much. If you use grain, be sure to have crimped oats and barley. They won't eat it otherwise. (ask me how I know)
lau.gif
When you make your feed with the "backslop" of the other ff be sure to add some water first and stir to distribute it. Makes it faster.

i got two bags of starter today... got home and realized the guy sold me medicated. i was planning on fermenting the starter.... can i still do it with medicated?

and also, how long should someone feed medicated until there is actually a resistance built up?

Back
Top Bottom