FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

Looks right. You don't really want to see anything growing on top..just foam. You want to send that fermentation to the next level? Put an air pump in so it keeps the sludge moving. I make activated compost teas the bubbling the mix makes all the difference between fermentation and spoilage

Thank you!

I just read every post here. I did not see any comment about what type of containers are used. Can I use Stainless steel for fermenting? Plastic? or do I need a stoneware crock? I'm worried about plastic leaching.

From my reading on fermenting for people, you don't want to use metal containers. I use ceramic/glass for people food, plastic is probably best for animal foods.

Upon request I am starting a thread about using fermentation to improve feed nutritive value and health benefits.

1. Anyone doing it? I am!
  2. How long have you been doing it? About a week
  3. Your methods? 3 gallon bucket, Purina Flockraiser (Meaties and Layers), water, a TBSP of Cultured Buttermilk
  4. Grains/feeds used in this manner? Purina Flockraiser
  5. Your overall review of this method of feeding? Happy. My birds LOVE it. No waste, other than when they step in it and get it on their feet.
I am interested in why people keep adding Mother ACV in there? From what I read, you only need a starter the first time you get it going. The starter can be yogurt, Mother ACV or Cultured Buttermilk. Is this true? Mine definitely smells and looks right.

Upon request I am starting a thread about using fermentation to improve feed nutritive value and health benefits.

1. Anyone doing it?
  2. How long have you been doing it?
  3. Your methods?
  4. Grains/feeds used in this manner?
  5. Your overall review of this method of feeding?

I do it
smile.png

Only for over a week
I simply make a patch every day, and use a strainer to get what I need for my birds
I use flock raiser, and layer pellets
I LOVE it! My birds eat less, look better, and the droppings don't smell!!

So my feed is bubbly and chicks like it.

New chick owner worries
1. Chicks walk on top and flatten it down can chick eat it like this? They seem to peck at it.
2. How long can it sit in brooder? I am lowering amounts and trying to measure it out
3. I used ACV. Do I add to it when I add water?
4. Should I also have dry food in there?

Ak rain

Oh and one more question

What consistency are we trying for when you go from ff bucket to chick feeder?

They seam to like it wet
Ak rain

Do you ever drain the liquid. I have been ff for about a month with the same starter and just adding to it.

I am using starter for my chicks fairly fine
With my bucket of FF I keep enough liquid by adding water (do I add ACV too?)
I scoop with strainer spoon but not much water leaves. (What's best consistency for chicks?)
How long can it be in brooder? I am working on amount needed but I figur too much is better then running out.
Chicks tap it down by walking on it ones tapped down I can't tell if they are getting any of it

Anyway this is my first time with chicks
Ak rain

I mix chick starter to a peanut butter or mortar consistency, no straining is required. If stirring it each day, you don't have to keep the mix submerged in water. I'd only feed enough for them to clean it up..that way, you don't have to wonder how much they are eating or not eating. If it's gone, they are eating. If it's not gone, adjust the feed amount down until only a little dab is left in the feeder each time they are done eating.

For chicks, I'd feed a set amount twice a day if confined to a coop and run situation. If free ranged, I'd feed once in the evening after 3 wks of age.

I've been feeding the ff for about 2 weeks now and I have some questions/concerns...

I have two batches going in 5 gallon buckets. I do not have a bucket in another bucket, but rather just two separate buckets. One has a mix of layer pellets and scratch grain. The other has starter/grower pellets and scratch grain. I keep both at an oatmeal/peanut butter consistency. I've seen the gray film on the top, which I stir back into the mix - but have not had any funkiness other than the typical to-be-expected sour smell.

Overall, the birds did not take to it very quickly, but they have come around - mostly - and will eat it. All my laying hens and nearly POL pullets free range during the day. The babies do not free range all day, but do get out for several hours each day.

I have seen an uptake in egg production and I have seen that the yolks definitely appear bigger. My main concern though is with the feathering. Since starting the ff, I've noticed a definite sheen to the feathers of the older bunch, but there are also a LOT of feathers out in the yard. I'm in Texas and it has officially gotten HOT here, but that doesn't typically cause them to molt, right?

Even more of a concern is with the babies. Since being on the ff, it's like they've stopped growing feathers. For example, I have 3 wheaten marans that are 3-4 weeks old. Look at this picture:

I know it's a little hard to see through the hardware cloth of the brooder, but the one chick (which I already believe is a little rooster), is not only NOT growing feathers, but appears to now be losing his down and becoming naked! This would lead me to believe that they need more protein, but again these little guys get fed plenty of the ff and they do get to run around the yard several hours a day. (And they are very active little things, seemingly very good at foraging... I've deliberately watched them and they are finding and eating bugs.)

Another concern is that when picked up, particularly with the younger and baby birds, the breast bone seems to stick out more sharply then I've ever experienced with birds before. Like they are malnourished almost... They are just not plump and fluffy as I am used to. I know that a hungry bird is a good foraging bird, but is this what I should expect with them on the ff?

Beekissed, I've followed several of your threads and put a lot of stock in your opinion. Have you ever seen yours or heard of anyone else's birds reacting this way?

Back
Top Bottom