FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

Well, it says it's good for hair. And feathers are made from protien like hair. And the chickens are molting. I am only giving them 1/2 a scoop for 13 chickens. If you read the ingredients it says kelp,flax seed (which is omega 3), yeast culture, dessicated liver,ect...

Radena, they are lovely! I can't wait until I have a mix of breeds. They are very pretty and look happy!
smile.png

Those of you who use commercial feeds (pellets, crumbles, whatever), how do you strain it after it has fermented? Regardless of it's original form this feed is quickly reduced into a gooey mush which just clogs the strainer (even the screen mesh type) making it impossible to strain so the chickens now have to contend with this soupy mess. I eventually mixed in some dry feed to stiffen it up so they could eat it, but this kinda compromises the savings benefit. I could just ferment grains, but I heard that doesn't really supply the same nutritional balance that mixed feed does.

idunno.gif
Suggestions?

Those of you who use commercial feeds (pellets, crumbles, whatever), how do you strain it after it has fermented? Regardless of it's original form this feed is quickly reduced into a gooey mush which just clogs the strainer (even the screen mesh type) making it impossible to strain so the chickens now have to contend with this soupy mess. I eventually mixed in some dry feed to stiffen it up so they could eat it, but this kinda compromises the savings benefit. I could just ferment grains, but I heard that doesn't really supply the same nutritional balance that mixed feed does.

idunno.gif
Suggestions?

Yep...mix is stiffer to begin with. Use less water, stir well when you make your batch and just let things happen. What comes out is how you serve it...no need to stir it after that, because you won't be able to very well and it doesn't really need stirred. No straining...just nice, thick, fermented feed. Sort of has a thick mortar consistency to it.

idunno.gif
Suggestions?

Sounds like you added way too much water. I use approximately equal amounts of feed and water. It's about the consistency of cooked oatmeal. No straining required. No excess water. I leave a little bit of fermented feed in the bucket to add to the next batch to speed up the fermenting process.

Hey Flywheel,

What I do to make it as easy as possible is to put a cup or so of past fermented feed into a bucket, fill the bucket 1/3 with water (which should mix the starter feed throughout), then add feed up to the 2/3-3/4 level. Mix thoroughly, adding just enough water to come to the top of the feed, just barely. Let it sit and the water will soak into the feed, also bringing more air throughout the mixture. I usually have to add a little more water after that, but you want a thick consistency.

Adding only enough water to get soaked up aerates the mix quite well and it ferments quickly. I have gone to a two bucket system so that I always have a bucket ready to go.

I really did find it was worth the effort. My feed bill dropped by at least 40% in trials, you get that much less waste, my birds were very healthy, and I was actually able to brood 140 of them in my basement without much smell.

Good luck!

Tried fermented foods for the first time the other week, all I did was put 1 cup of feed in a jar with 2 cups of water (just make sure all food is covered by water otherwise it will mold). I think it took about 2-3 days of sitting on my counter to ferment (depends on the warmth, my house is cold), it had a sour smell, not moldy. I fed it to the chickens in a glass dish, they ate it up. Not complex at all and it worked for me. I remake a jar each day so I have a continuous supply, each day a new jar is ready.

I just want to ask the rest of you fermenting-foodies, did this attract more predators for you? After doing this for the first 2 days, I lost a chicken. Looked like a raccoon caused it and it happened during the day! I've never had a problem during the day with predators..

On the plus side, I got the most eggs I've ever gotten in one day after 1 week of fermented foods. One of my hens had stopped laying at the beginning of summer and just started laying after the food was introduced.

The first couple times I did it, I had too much water. I just dumped a little bit out and then threw in some dry pellets to help soak it up. The chickens loved it.

Tried fermented foods for the first time the other week, all I did was put 1 cup of feed in a jar with 2 cups of water (just make sure all food is covered by water otherwise it will mold). I think it took about 2-3 days of sitting on my counter to ferment (depends on the warmth, my house is cold), it had a sour smell, not moldy. I fed it to the chickens in a glass dish, they ate it up. Not complex at all and it worked for me. I remake a jar each day so I have a continuous supply, each day a new jar is ready.

I just want to ask the rest of you fermenting-foodies, did this attract more predators for you? After doing this for the first 2 days, I lost a chicken. Looked like a raccoon caused it and it happened during the day! I've never had a problem during the day with predators..

On the plus side, I got the most eggs I've ever gotten in one day after 1 week of fermented foods. One of my hens had stopped laying at the beginning of summer and just started laying after the food was introduced.

You don't want to keep the feed covered by water as that would promote anaerobic bacteria. You want aerobic bacteria, so you'll need to keep the mixture aerated. You should also start out by adding apple cider vinegar that has the 'mother' in it, like Bragg's.

Back
Top Bottom