FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

Pics
My teenage son makes fun of me for commenting on the health of a chicken on my butcher table. He says a dead chicken is not all that "healthy" lol

Wow I missed a week and I am way behind on all my threads!
A friend of mine was over here and saw my fermented feed & decided to try it on her turkeys & they love it.
Since I started mine on it a few weeks ago they've started growing like crazy!
I think I'm going to have to switch the new chicks over to FF too

Aloha kakou,

This is a question out to the people who are NPIP certified. I am not sure what the plan entails but if it's government run, I assume that it involves the heavy use of antibiotics. But I also assume that all of us fermenters are anti-antibiotics. So I was just wondering how the two jive together, or perhaps they do not need to be mutually exclusive.

I don't think we have a NPIP program here, but I do want to keep my flock healthy WITHOUT the use of antibiotics.

A lot of people talk about FF as a way to save money but I look at it as a substitute for antibiotics.

Mahalo nui, Puhi

I have stopped fermenting the feed itself. It was becoming problematic with the coop so far away from the house and it was hard to maintain the batches if the FF stayed in the coop.

So I switched to putting kefir milk in the feed. The kefir is fermented of course so they still get the wonderful probiotics, but this process was so much easier and cleaner for me.

We also give the kefir to the pigs, dogs, and cats. They all love it and they are all super healthy. Loving it.

Aloha kakou,

This is a question out to the people who are NPIP certified. I am not sure what the plan entails but if it's government run, I assume that it involves the heavy use of antibiotics. But I also assume that all of us fermenters are anti-antibiotics. So I was just wondering how the two jive together, or perhaps they do not need to be mutually exclusive.

I don't think we have a NPIP program here, but I do want to keep my flock healthy WITHOUT the use of antibiotics.

A lot of people talk about FF as a way to save money but I look at it as a substitute for antibiotics.

Mahalo nui, Puhi

It is rather like taking antibiotics and I answered the reason why in the other FF thread. It performs almost the same action but in a different, more healthy, manner.

Last edited:
How do you all feed the fermented feed to your chicks? really wet or more dry? I have 2 day old chicks and I have put some really wet fermented feed in the brooder and some more of a mashed potato consistency and they are not interested in either. Maybe they just aren't hungry yet? they hatched on Saturday.

Back
Top Bottom