FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

Pics
no I just toss that sort of thing out there to them. I've read not to feed them beans unless they were cooked but then I've also read other stuff that wasn't true to so who knows. But I have cooked my green beans b 4 giving to them. Mine love the zucchini raw.

Same here...veggies will ferment all on their own laying out on the ground, so I just toss and let the birds figure it out. I have all the FF I need in that bucket!
Oh man I sure hope they make it! Don't know what you're battling here with the sick birds but IF it is some of the things they can get, even if you brought in non sick birds depending on IF whatever it is your birds have, you could give it to the new ones. What makes you think they're sick? What are their symptoms?

This could also help a person determine what stock they wish to keep out of all the sick and non sick birds. I've brought sick birds into my flock~I never, ever quarantine or use "biosecurity" which is a joke when having backyard flocks~ but rather depend on the good immune systems of my flock to bear up under the introduction of possible pathogens. And it's sort of like providing a natural culling...any birds that get the illness are culled. I wouldn't want them in my flock anyhoo...any new birds that don't clear up their symptoms within a week or so under my husbandry methods are culled as birds whose immune systems cannot recover under good care.

I don't even start thinking of meds to "help" them...that's a slippery slope when it comes to natural husbandry and can spoil the whole system and goals for your flock. Having the assurances that your flock can resist whatever comes into the flock under your husbandry methods is key and the whole goal, otherwise you are flinching every time a bird flies by.
Well I was wondering about how to prepare for the new birds...any suggestions? I have talked to 2 different breeders that have young Light Brahmas close by and will go look at them next weekend....I will thoroughly inspect the birds and ask lots of questions this time! I also am waiting on 12 lavender orpingtons to hatch around the Sept 20th....so it's hyper important to get rid of whatever disease it is.

Symptoms are lethargy, closed eyes, sneezing and or coughing not sure what some of the sounds are since these are my first chickens....diarea sometimes but normal in color from looking at poop pics here. First day there was just the one BR showing signs, she has gotten worse each day making sounds like trouble breathing....last night she went into coop by herself and layed with face in corner..2 of the others were showing signs as well..I just don't know what more to do... I really dont want to just pump antibiotics in my birds everytime they get sick.
One of the many red flags I ignored or didnt see when I picked them up was first thing out of the guys mouth was "He just noticed his birds have a bit of a cold...just like people get...and to just put some electrolites in water" well okay being new and excited about my first chickens I said great! I didn't have a say in which one or have the opportunity to check them before he caught them and stuck them in the cage I brought. I want very much to be able to rehab them but I also don't want to have to deal with someone elses mis-management and care....and I paid 15$ each which isn't much but I was expecting healthy birds. I certainly will strive to never let my next birds get in this kind of condition. Not sure how long to wait if I do return them.
I'm going now to go check on them. Thanks everyone there is so much more to learn and so thrilled to have this forum to come to.

Edit: will post something on the OT about symptoms and see what suggestions I get..

I would give them a week or so of good FF, clean water, deep litter and sunshine on clean soils. Any bird not showing any signs of improvement with that..even a little improvement...would be culled. The bird with her head in the corner I would give 3 days to show signs of perking up...then cull. That's a lot of money to pay for sick stock...even a lot to pay for healthy stock in my area and I've never paid more than $8 per bird...but it's a cheap price for learning a valuable lesson.

I would call the man and explain that the flock is more than suffering from a cold virus and let him offer to buy them back...if he doesn't offer, I wouldn't push it and I'd keep them but remember this~any honest man would not only apologize profusely but would insist on buying them back. No honest man sells sick livestock. I got the same excuses once when I bought a few birds~Oh, they are missing feathers because of the rooster~and just like you, I felt too sorry for the birds to walk away. Then I kept them for a week or so and killed them all. Lost only $35 in the process but learned soooooooo much about learning to say "no" and also opening my mouth as to WHY I was saying NO.
The most recent batch of FF lasted ~ 5 weeks before I mis-estimated how much my growing chicks would eat in a day, and had very little "starter" left in the bucket. (Usually I leave two inches of glop in the bottom of the bucket to stir in with the fresh powdery feed and well water.) Most of the time it smells like sourdough starter, or rising bread dough made with non-wheat flours. My feed does have fish meal in it, which probably adds to the nastiness when it is "off" and my husband gags every time I bring the bucket out from under the sink (even on the good days), but he is a sensitive little hot-house flower when it comes to smells
lol.png
In my previous career, I learned I had a relatively strong stomach when I helped work on decomposing bodies in the local morgue. I don't say that to brag on myself, just to let you know that if I thought the smell was intolerable at arm's length, it was really bad.

Regarding castor oil as a wormer, do you think one eyedropper is an okay dose for a juvenile chicken, or should I decrease the dose for a smaller bird? I accidentally bought castor oil when I had cod liver oil on the brain, but will keep the castor oil now that I have a good use for it. I don't mind worming my flock if they actually need it, but don't want to eat those chemicals in my meat, and don't want to worm on a schedule, without regard to the bird's parasite status. That's how we got drench-resistant worms in the USA sheep and goat flocks. And how we got multi-drug resistant pathogens in the humans, but don't get me started on THAT topic!

Thanks for the reminder about NuStock. I have the tea tree oil and powdered sulfur at home, but I still need to render some lard, weigh the active ingredients, and mix the whole thing together.

I gave a dropper full to a 2 mo. old bird with no ill effects. The recommended dose~not sure who figured that out but you can bet it wasn't a vet~is 1.5 cc per bird, so there is a lot of leeway there when using a regular medicine dropper..they only hold about 1 cc, if that.

Remember about the NS mix...don't mix it too thick. I think it was the lard in mine that made it so darn sticky and thick, so next time I make it I will not be making it thicker but more runny and oily than greasy in nature. The greasy would stay on other maladies better but the scale mites really needed that thinner viscosity to move up under the scales instead of just sealing off the spaces between the scales.
Beekissed - where can I find the recipe for NuStock - or what is your recipe for it? I would have to order it over the border (if they do that), and making it seems like it might be much simpler considering I likely have most of the ingredients at home!

KaFox - keep us posted on your birds. I hope at least some of them pull through. Nothing like good food and water to help them. Are you able to let them free range at all? They may be able to help themselves a bit that way too.

It's on the Road Less Traveled thread but you know me...I don't really measure things.
big_smile.png
I just heated various balms and oils in a double boiler(lard, bag balm and mineral oil...will cut out the lard next time!), added the pine tar (don't remember how much...just enough to get it to smell as strongly as NS does), and then mixed in the sulfur powder to the consistency that I wanted. The mix can take A LOT of sulfur powder, so just keep adding until you get the consistency you want. I'd recommend to avoid the thicker mix like I made and stick with a little more soupy and runny. The thicker is easier to work with but it doesn't mean a ding diddly how easy it is to work with if it no longer does the job as well.

All the ingredients were super cheap and came to a mere fraction of the original cost of the NS, plus you can make a bigger quantity than they sell. It's a win/win and if I still had other livestock, I'd keep a big batch at all times sealed up in fruit jars.

Remember about the NS mix...don't mix it too thick. I think it was the lard in mine that made it so darn sticky and thick, so next time I make it I will not be making it thicker but more runny and oily than greasy in nature. The greasy would stay on other maladies better but the scale mites really needed that thinner viscosity to move up under the scales instead of just sealing off the spaces between the scales.

It's on the Road Less Traveled thread but you know me...I don't really measure things.
big_smile.png
I just heated various balms and oils in a double boiler(lard, bag balm and mineral oil...will cut out the lard next time!), added the pine tar (don't remember how much...just enough to get it to smell as strongly as NS does), and then mixed in the sulfur powder to the consistency that I wanted. The mix can take A LOT of sulfur powder, so just keep adding until you get the consistency you want. I'd recommend to avoid the thicker mix like I made and stick with a little more soupy and runny. The thicker is easier to work with but it doesn't mean a ding diddly how easy it is to work with if it no longer does the job as well.

All the ingredients were super cheap and came to a mere fraction of the original cost of the NS, plus you can make a bigger quantity than they sell. It's a win/win and if I still had other livestock, I'd keep a big batch at all times sealed up in fruit jars.
I wonder how well it works on kids!

lol.png
What for, exactly? It's a natural antibiotic, antifungal preparation, so it probably wouldn't hurt a bit to try it on skin problems on children.
I was just thinking as a general everything... No major issues, the occasional scrape that they insist on having abandaid on. Drives me nuts. Maybe if I could put it on instead of the bandaid I don't have to buy a box every 2 weeks ! :)

OFF TOPIC:
Just reading the end of the Road Less Traveled thread (can't read it all here at work to find your recipe LOL!). Looking at the whole survival thread. We just bought a piece of land that we are slowly building up for off-grid living. No power, no running water. That's where we are beginning our foray back into proper living! I say "back" because both DH and I have grown up in part on a farm (my best friend's farm, his grandparent's), and definitely feel it is best for our kidlets. So far we've collected rainwater for eating/bathing (and chickens/chicken feed/ dogs). Will need to build a house at some point, which we plan to do locally and ourselves so we can fix it. Not independent out there yet, but we do have a wonderful neighbour who has been out there for 5-6 years off grid and has adopted us as his family. Wonderful man. Have a big veg garden out there and we'll have a pickling party in a month or so! Now, if only we could be out there full time, we could have full time chickens! Local city rdinances make it illegal here. Workin on it... :(

Boy do your photos look beautiful!

Last edited:
You are going to have the time of your lives living off grid and away from the usual worldly setup. You'll have to do a thread of your own and post pics along the way of the befores and afters on the building and developing the land. What kind of house will you build? I've always wanted to do a straw bale/cob house and even a chicken coop of the same materials.

Yes we will! We just had to butcher our chickens this weekend, and it was quite the experience since we had no experienced person to show us the best way to do it - just the internet! Defeathering is very tedious - I'm sure it should take much less long than it did! Our chickens were not broilers either, so thethey were very scrawny. Lots of legs, though!

Now we're all set for next summer, though, and already talking of how were going to get LOTS of broilers, perhaps butcher our own, and send the others to a facility to be butchered and sell them. Then our friend convinced DH (I couldn't) to save our 2 young ISA Browns, so we had to build a coop last night out of scrap wood for our city yard...

How do you keep chickens (and hence neighbours) quiet? I hope we can keep them through the winter, but if we get a note from the city, they go to Freezer Camp.

Eggs are one way... But 2 chickens only produce so many eggs!

This year we built a wash house and composting station out of garbage and used materials, lived in our tent trailer with an outdoor kitchen, and put up a hunting tent for storing tools. We put together a composting toilet (traditional style), rainwater harvesting (1000l tank), and $20 granite countertop and sink in the wash house (from Kijiji).... It's amazing what people throw out! We just built a play house for the kids this past weekend out of pallets and scrap plywood.
Partially completed wash house (need to download new photos)!:

Inside:

Outside (now has hade for the door, and completed sides):

We plan to build a strawbale house - post and beam style. We've looked into cordwood and it may work for a coop, but for a house in rural Alberta, it's pretty cold. The insulative value is not as much as straw. Have various plans in place including a greenhouse/coop combination, outdoor cob oven, root cellar, and passive freezer - and lots of elbow grease! It's amazing how much work we can do in a weekend that doesn't seem like work, yet in the city it's all tedious.

Can't wait to get started!

Have some great pictures of our 2yo in the basin for his bath - water heated on the stove!

And it cracked me up this morning to have a bird bath (no more than a gallon of water), and show up to my government job! I couldn't even do that in town the way things are set up!

Yes we will! We just had to butcher our chickens this weekend, and it was quite the experience since we had no experienced person to show us the best way to do it - just the internet! Defeathering is very tedious - I'm sure it should take much less long than it did! Our chickens were not broilers either, so thethey were very scrawny. Lots of legs, though!

Now we're all set for next summer, though, and already talking of how were going to get LOTS of broilers, perhaps butcher our own, and send the others to a facility to be butchered and sell them. Then our friend convinced DH (I couldn't) to save our 2 young ISA Browns, so we had to build a coop last night out of scrap wood for our city yard...

How do you keep chickens (and hence neighbours) quiet? I hope we can keep them through the winter, but if we get a note from the city, they go to Freezer Camp.

Eggs are one way... But 2 chickens only produce so many eggs!

This year we built a wash house and composting station out of garbage and used materials, lived in our tent trailer with an outdoor kitchen, and put up a hunting tent for storing tools. We put together a composting toilet (traditional style), rainwater harvesting (1000l tank), and $20 granite countertop and sink in the wash house (from Kijiji).... It's amazing what people throw out! We just built a play house for the kids this past weekend out of pallets and scrap plywood.
Partially completed wash house (need to download new photos)!:

Inside:

Outside (now has hade for the door, and completed sides):

We plan to build a strawbale house - post and beam style. We've looked into cordwood and it may work for a coop, but for a house in rural Alberta, it's pretty cold. The insulative value is not as much as straw. Have various plans in place including a greenhouse/coop combination, outdoor cob oven, root cellar, and passive freezer - and lots of elbow grease! It's amazing how much work we can do in a weekend that doesn't seem like work, yet in the city it's all tedious.

Can't wait to get started!

Have some great pictures of our 2yo in the basin for his bath - water heated on the stove!

And it cracked me up this morning to have a bird bath (no more than a gallon of water), and show up to my government job! I couldn't even do that in town the way things are set up!

What a great job! I love your little wash house! I bet your friends and family think you have lost the cheese off your cracker!
gig.gif
lau.gif
I get so excited when reading your plans...I had always wanted to build a straw bale cob structure. They are so much better than traditional housing and so much more open to artistic design in the cob...the sky's the limit on features and interesting little things you can add for comfort, utility and beauty.

I agree...that kind of work doesn't feel like work because it's half dreams and half fulfillment of dreams, so the dream half spurs you on and makes it seem more like fun and creativity than hard work. And it's the kind of hard work that leaves you satisfied at the end of the day...not a bit like most jobs. That's homesteading and I can't think of any better kind of life for people, for their kids and for the animals involved.

Here's a pic of our summer shower when we were homesteading..and this wasn't until several years after we started and was seen as a total luxury to use at the end of a sweaty work day! You can see the bench with the "sink" and the well that had running water if you cared to pump for it. The holding tank at the top of the shower had to be filled bucket by bucket climbed up a ladder..but, Oh, so worth it!!!

And our first cellar, made of logs...and that is me at 10 yrs of age..with my Dad in the background working on the structure.

On keeping chickens quiet...not sure about that..but how much noise could just two chickens make? Are your neighbors really THAT noise sensitive? No barking dogs in the neighborhood or anything?
roll.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom