FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

Pics
Come back, come back.....where is everyone.........
smile.png

So I put it in a small bucket and placed about 4 cups of chick feed in a small bucket and added 1 cup of AVC and 1/3 cup of molasses. Then I added warm water. It is sort of the consistency of wet cement. Or goopy batter. Is yours really wet like pancake batter or thicker? I just kept adding water and it kept soaking it up so I didn't measure it so much just continued mixing until all the feed was wet.
caf.gif
fl.gif

How long does it take to start to ferment?

Do I leave the lid on or cover with a cloth?

Caroline
Is ok, NONE of us knew what we were really doing the first time. So chalk it up to learning experience! I started out with ACV with the mother. My advice for a first time person would be to buy the mother ACV in the bottle, and start with that. It will go faster, and you will be able to jump start your fermented feed. Also, use distilled water, not city water, I did that the first time, and just did not ferment as well as it should have, city water is treated to kill everything we are trying to get going in our FF. I know some on here have said it is ok, but just did not work for me. That is my two cents worth!

Best of luck, give it another go!!!! You will be amazed how well your birds will look, very shiny, and very healthy from eating FF!!

But do you over complicate all your pet care routines?
gig.gif
Now..that is not city specific...I have country sisters and neighbors who do the same.

I don't mean to make fun either...but this whole add the molasses thing had to come from somewhere and I'm doubting it was any place that also had common sense about fermenting foods~which immediately points a finger at city or urban dwellers. Most country folk know how to ferment grains...in one way or another. Hic! 'Scuse me....

I think some people just look for things to worry or obsess about, or try to make things complicated. Taking care of animals isn't rocket science, but some will try to make you think it is. The thing about the yogurt and scrambled eggs and chicken diapers had me laughing. Its like the person on another thread saying its so cruel to eat them. Ummmm some of us buy them to cook them eventually. That is why I bought Jerseys. More meat when cooking time comes.
Yep, I am sure coming from the German lineage I hail from, there was fermenting of hops and barley!
lau.gif

City folks trying to complicate a very, very simple process....like making sure water is over the feed, straining it, adding kefir, yogurt, or other such nonsense. Grains have been fermenting pretty much without all that hoohaw since the beginning of time, all over the world.

It's almost like this present society likes to have more drama and stress than the next person, so they go out looking for ways to complicate every little process of their lives. Most will even complain about these self imposed stressors as if they simply happened to them and were not created BY them. Fussy routines for animals, with multiple pens and runs and cooking rice and scrambled eggs and don't forget the yogurt each morning, while changing chicken diapers with the other hand and rotating dogs and chickens in the yard so one won't kill the others, and the list of complications grow and grow and grow. All self imposed.

Sort of like people who claim they can't free range because they simply have too many hawks where they live. I'm sitting here thinking, "Does this person somehow imagine that they~ and only they~ live near the national hawk sanctuary and all of OUR hawks live at the sanctuary as well?"

Wow the chickens have diapers? And here I just let my kids run naked when I am potty training
lau.gif

Well Ladies;

I shall leave the thread and leave it to you experts.

Thank you so much for your kind reflections and helpful advice.

Caroline

Awwww, Caroline, don't be thatta way!
big_smile.png
We're just funnin' and you can't hear the tone. We do that a lot here! Come back and stick around....we don't bite!
hugs.gif
You just happened to post on something that is a particular pet peeve about the FF process that we've been trying to straighten out....could you tell us who told you to put molasses in the batch? We are mystified where that addition has sprung from among all the other little weird things people are trying to do to a simple, straightforward process.

We're sorry!! We didn't mean to ruffle yer feathers!
hugs.gif

Well Ladies;

I shall leave the thread and leave it to you experts.

Thank you so much for your kind reflections and helpful advice.

Caroline
Caroline....you have the best of the best right here......listen and learn Sweetie...I too was a newbie and am still learning...promise......it is just really funnin for them cause they know all the short cuts......come back and let them help you....you won't be sorry.....
hugs.gif

Hey, I know when I started I DID completely cover the feed with water, then I threw the batch away when it smelled like booze, then the next batch I thought went bad when it went from booze to vomit
sickbyc.gif
!!!!!!!!!!!!! So I was just as bad as the city folk,,,,,,yes I grew up in the city,
hide.gif
LMAO!!!! And the smartest guy I knew was my daddy who had raised a few chickens in his day, but he told me not to eat eggs that have the speck of brown on the yolks, it will make you sick! Wash all eggs with dish detergent before putting them in the fridge, and corn will overheat chickens in the summer!!!!
lau.gif
HAHAHAHAHAHA, and to think I thought he was SOOOOO smart and knew everything!!! But see everyone on THIS thread has taught me to do it right! please don't take offence to the way it sounds to you, they really only mean it sincerely they r not mad or trying to make you feel bad!! They just want to teach you how to keep your babies at top health and beauty
hugs.gif

so Caroline please come back!!??

Can't say I blame her, to have fun at someone else's expense is, well, childish, I will leave it at that.

For the record, we weren't having fun at her expense...only the expense of the source of this adding molasses to fermented feeds. I don't know if that is much better but apologies have been given and not accepted. I'll leave it at that. We are no more perfect than anyone else out there and are, yes, sometimes childish. Who isn't?

Back
Top Bottom