FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

Well.... of COURSE it will be rank....I seem to have a super-sensitive nose, so of course it will assault my sense of smell. Great.
th.gif
Thank you for the warning Bee....maybe it would be better to start all over again when I get back?

Perchie, poor Perchies girls...no molasses for them! I myself feed dry cob as I find the molasses amps them up a little more than I want. However, whenever I rode a draft, I found that if they started to do anything bad, like bucking, it took 5 minutes so I was ready
wink.png

I have a question, Bee or someone, I now have my girls back on dry feed for our vacation, and plan to have the dog sitters stir the ff while I'm gone, but is it OK to just stir for 2 weeks and not use any?

LOL my girl has enough RPM without giving her crak..... I dont feed grain at all. She is not raising babies Nor is she working commercial carriage work. I may give her a handful of Dry Cob stolen from the goats because she loves it so much. But if I want to give her something extra I give her BOSS.... she loves her seedsies too.... and Bran. Or fill her Amazing Grazer with carrots.

deb

You feed BOSS too? I was absolutely amazed when I took a handful of BOSS to see if he liked it and you'd think he'd had it all his life, never even hesitated, just gobbled it down. Every horse I've tried it with just dives right in to it. Anyway, I started giving it for his feet and coat, had to cut back his feet are so hard (he's barefoot) I have too soak them for the trimmer. Feed store folks look at me funny when I say it's for my horse. Or for my chickens for that matter.

Do you give your perchie paprika for her coat? Supposed to keep them from sunburn in the summer and make the color richer. Been giving mine paprika for 3 years or so.

I got talked into a bunch of things in my first couple of years with Drafts. I am a NEWBIE still. Shes my first and I have had her now 13 years. out of 47 years with horses LOL> You never learn it all Ever... I went the rice bran rout and the Biotene rout and the corn oil rout.... I sooo wanted to feed her Alfalfa and Molassis because I love the stuff. Smells good they love it it even tastes good to me.... Still not sweet to me.... LOL. I only feed Alfalfa if I am the one to feed her. At this point I free feed Bermuda.

What I learned is there are Three kinds of Black horse Genetics. ONe that is born Grey and turns black as they shed out their foal coat. Those horses Tend to have thier coats sunburn through the year eventually becoming black with brown highlights. Then there are others that are Born Black.... MOst of those turn grey and we both know Grey eventually becomes White. But a small fraction of those Remain Black and if you look at their coat color they will have Blue reflections or highlights. Those horses NEVER fade. I want to say Homozygus? If it were a breeding stallion it would pass on black trait 100 percent. They have two black genes.

Katee is very black but she did sun burn a little the first couple of years I had her here in San Diego Sun. This is her around 2002 She was about seven

No she is not docked and No she has never had shoes on. We showed against the Big hitch horses Au Natural.... LOL. We won enough to pay our entry fees and stall space at the fair.

deb

NICE mare!! She sure looks slick. And congrats placing well enough to pay your way and doing it au natural! Everyone told me that a TWH would not gait barefoot. In the immortal words of Col Potter, "Horse Hockey". Trigger is a palomino, actually a champagne palomino, and the paprika does keep his coat a shade darker. Looks like Trigger, but not as dark gold.

Yeah, in my 49 years with the beasts, I've gone the "fad du jour" route too. Actually, a lot like chicken keeping I imagine. The good news about all this is as we learn and experiment, we improve our animal husbandry, and with sites like this, we all benefit.

Wow, it worked! This is me on Trigger in our annual Passion Play up here. We are Roman soldiers, there are usually about 10 or 12 mounted soldiers. It is quite a production. Sheep, a chariot, horses, I did hear they had a camel one year. Horses went nuts. That didn't last long....
th.gif

I LOVE black horses, had one for 25 years, also a TWH. He was my superlative horse.

Give Kaytee a tad of dry cob for me....and a pat.

Peg

I love TWH.... Tennessee Walker horses. They are People horses all the ones I have met were "Hi How Ya doin.... gimme a skritch please.. I had a friend once with a Gaiting Mule.... what a hoot.

Yep you learn EVERYWHERE if you are open minded.... No matter what endeaver you are attempting.

Lovely color on your boy. Yep I have seen soo many Palominos blanch out especially down here in UV land.... LOL>

deb "whos riding days are over"

Your mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it isn't open.

Where are you in San Diego? Our kids are in the Santee area, we were both stationed there in the mid 70's, got married in the rodeo arena at NAS Imperial Beach. Rode in on my black TWH. Ahhhh.....memories. The area has certainly changed since we lived there. When we go to visit the kids it's like a maze.

Anyway, nice talking horse for a bit....heh, a pun.

OK here it is

http://www.amazon.com/Evolved-habitats-23201-Molasses-Livestock/dp/B000TZ8SUU

BTW after having a draft horse for more than thirteen years now I completely avoid Molassis of any kind in her feed.

deb

Ok $40 for 2 1/2 gallons shipped. I'll do it if I can't find it local. I only need 2/3 c to add to 3 gal bran and 2 gall water. It makes bokashi.. To make FF I need about 4 or 5 handfulls to a 5 gallon bucket FF Not too much at all. And it might be cheaper than blackstrap from the grocery. It will easily last me a year. Thanks perchie,girl
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom