FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

Good smell will be like a highly pickled sour smell when you stir..can almost burn your nose hairs! ....bad smell may not have much of a smell at all and what smell it has will be completely different than the FF. Can't explain it. A moldy smell tinged with rot.
Thank you Bee, I appreciate all your expertise on ff and it's culture.

I moved down from my house in the desert, to go to work at a temporary job just before Grandma turned 90. My son was already hear going to highschool He wanted nothing to do with "rural life".... Grandma was alone so it was a good arrangement for them. So I expected to be here for about a three month contract. That continued on for two years they layed me off and picked me up again on another short term contract and that one wound up being another year and a half almost two years. They layed me off..... and I had a nervous break down.... Done doing what I was doing. So I stayed here and now I am here for the duration. Moms going to need me next Hopefully I will be able to collect Social Security by then and I can pack her up and take her home with me.

I havent worked in my field since.... Sigh. But I am writing a book. Hope to Epublish one day.

deb

Really looking forward to that. I'm sure it's fascinating. Love, love, love to read.
smile.png

Tikki, you might want to try adding some paprika to our black mare's feed, it helps keep them black. If you've ever tried Black as Knight it is mostly paprika. Sam's had large canisters of it for good price. We don't have a Sam's close, so I buy the little jars at Dollar Store or Grocery OUtlet a dollar or less. Only takes about 3-5 TBSP. I feed about 2-3 in winter, and 4-5 in summer. Helps brighten all coats, but also helps with sun bleaching. If you show, it needs to be discontinued because for testing it does show up. I can't remember how long before, but it is on the internet somewhere.
Hmmm I wonder if Paprika would also be good to add to chicken feed or FF. for those who may be into showing their birds or wanting richer colors.....?

deb "off to go research"

Dug a little on Paprika.... It is used for a color enhancer in caged birds. A very very little goes a long way. Its the capsacian (sp?) but the same results can be obtained with adding carrot to the diet.... Again Caged birds like canaries.

In horses the dosage is one table spoon per day. The Capsacian is testable ..... On an olympic level, it also tends to make the skin more sensitive. Hence the reason its tested for.

It makes black horses blacker and red horses redder.

For chickens it makes the yolk Richer in color, according to the one study I read. http://japr.fass.org/content/20/1/90.abstract

So it would be an interesting experiment. But for chickens I think just adding hot peppers to their diet would be a plus all around. they like em its good fortification against natural parasites. and cheaper than paprika....

deb

Dug a little on Paprika.... It is used for a color enhancer in caged birds. A very very little goes a long way. Its the capsacian (sp?) but the same results can be obtained with adding carrot to the diet.... Again Caged birds like canaries.

In horses the dosage is one table spoon per day. The Capsacian is testable ..... On an olympic level, it also tends to make the skin more sensitive. Hence the reason its tested for.

It makes black horses blacker and red horses redder.

For chickens it makes the yolk Richer in color, according to the one study I read. http://japr.fass.org/content/20/1/90.abstract

So it would be an interesting experiment. But for chickens I think just adding hot peppers to their diet would be a plus all around. they like em its good fortification against natural parasites. and cheaper than paprika....

deb

All this time, I've been wondering why people give cayenne pepper to their chickens but never thought to ask. Does the heat not come out in the eggs? How much do you give them. I have 12 pullets and 1 roo.

Back
Top Bottom