Tikkijane
Beekissed
LeslieDJoyce
Ms Jellybean

{Who else? Add your name here!}

Make it so! {Waving my magic wand}
big_smile.png

lau.gif
Most excellent! Now it's legally binding. Thank you.
highfive.gif
clap.gif

They already have those out there...seriously.
gig.gif
Huh? No way. Some people need to get a life.

The contents of this thread are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
00a9.png
Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material or intellectual properties and ideas without express and written permission from the author/owner, or commercial or otherwise production for profit is strictly prohibited. Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available after contacting authors.
00a9.png
2010-2016 by Tikkijane, Beekissed, LeslieDJoyce, and Ms Jellybean. All rights reserved.
Very well said.
smile.png

I find it interesting that we are supposed to ignore bad or unethical behavior when it is good business . Just because a company is employing people doesn't mean they should get a free pass and the rest of us just need to turn a blind eye.
Soap Box ! What's the recipe for homemade laundry soap ?

I know so many people that believe they are an exception and should be able to break any rule that's inconvenient just because they think their own "good intentions" or personal desires justify it ... It doesn't surprise me corporations believe that about themselves. They can justify anything on behalf of shareholders.

I find it interesting that we are supposed to ignore bad or unethical behavior when it is good business . Just because a company is employing people doesn't mean they should get a free pass and the rest of us just need to turn a blind eye.
Soap Box ! What's the recipe for homemade laundry soap ?
Here is one. I've never tried it, but it is supposed to work great. You can get everything you need at Walmart. Even the 5 gallon bucket. They have their own like Lowe's and HD do now. My friends make their own laundry soap and love it. The one has 3 boys and a the live on a farm. It must work well. ;)

1.5 bars fels naptha - I slice it with a paring knife and put it in the water to melt. I eyeball the 1/2

3 cups of arm and hammer washing soda

1.5 cups of borax

Enough water to make the mix 5 gallons.

Melt the fels naptha in about 5 cups of water on the stove top. Start with near boiling water to make life easier. It takes 10-15 minutes to melt. Dump that into a 5 gallon bucket. I use the sprayer on my sink to fill the bucket about 1/2 way. Add in the borax and the washing soda. STIR WELL

Fill the bucket almost to the top. This way it does not slop over. Let it sit and it becomes a gel. 1/2 cup per large load of laundry. Put it in the water and swirl it, if you have a top loader, and then add clothes.

I was wondering about using homemade laundry soap in a HE front loading machine and came across this recipe. It makes a powder not a liquid soap. I may start making this.

I usually by Arm and hammer laundry soap and I have always used about half of what the directions say to use when doing laundry and my clothes come out clean and the soap lasts twice as long. I think making soap would still save me money though. I'll have to look into it.

Here is one. I've never tried it, but it is supposed to work great. You can get everything you need at Walmart. Even the 5 gallon bucket. They have their own like Lowe's and HD do now. My friends make their own laundry soap and love it. The one has 3 boys and a the live on a farm. It must work well. ;)

1.5 bars fels naptha - I slice it with a paring knife and put it in the water to melt. I eyeball the 1/2

3 cups of arm and hammer washing soda

1.5 cups of borax

Enough water to make the mix 5 gallons.

Melt the fels naptha in about 5 cups of water on the stove top. Start with near boiling water to make life easier. It takes 10-15 minutes to melt. Dump that into a 5 gallon bucket. I use the sprayer on my sink to fill the bucket about 1/2 way. Add in the borax and the washing soda. STIR WELL

Fill the bucket almost to the top. This way it does not slop over. Let it sit and it becomes a gel. 1/2 cup per large load of laundry. Put it in the water and swirl it, if you have a top loader, and then add clothes.

Mine's slightly different from this one but still similar...it's the same concept. I've been using the homemade laundry soap since 2006 and LOVE it. Would never go back to the store bought that leaves my clothes smelly and full of static, even when it's supposedly unscented. I had three boys also and this soap never let me down on removing dirt and odors. It does not suds and you can really see the dirt in the water as it works but clothes come out soft~without the use of dryer sheets or softeners~, no static and they smell of nothing but...cloth. I love that smell!

Those with HE washing machines really love it because it's a low/no sudsing detergent. It's great for septic systems for the same reason. It costs me about $.02 per load to do laundry with this soap. YMMV according to the costs of your ingredients.

The only down side I found was dingy whites, which I fixed by buying all colored bras, underwear and socks.
big_smile.png
When I do have white linens to wash I'll use white vinegar in the rinse and this will take care of that dingy tinge...but I don't like hovering over the washing machine for a rinse cycle so I just don't have that many linens that need to be sparkling white.

This detergent seems to be less wearing on clothing, keeps line dried clothes soft and not stiff, and has a pleasant odor when being made...my boys even loved it and they don't notice much.

I use old laundry detergent jugs for storing and using my detergent as there is no room in my laundry room for a big bucket. It makes it handy too when I can use the measuring cup caps on the jugs for doling out the detergent.

Back
Top Bottom