FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

I'm going to replace the oats in my ff with barley. Here at the local feed store, they sell steamed rolled barley, whatever that is. Does it matter what kind of barley it is?

Last edited:
I'm going to replace the oats in my ff with barley. Here at the local feed store, they sell steamed rolled barley, whatever that is. Does it matter what kind of barley it is?

Good for you. A lot of places can't get barley in their area and the rolled is the best. Higher protein too. Good luck.
thumbsup.gif

Thanks! I don't know anything about barley. So that's good to know. Can you sprout the rolled?

Yeah that's the rub. You can't sprout it since it has been steamed. But it's perfect for fermenting. I'm going to look into sprouting oats. The foraging kind. Much easier to sprout than just the regular. Google proteins in grains. It will give you a lot of info.

Should I be measuring how much FF I'm giving chicks? I've been just loading them up twice a day (morning & night) and they seem to eat it all within an hour or so.

Picked up my Scratch & Peck Naturally Free Starter feed yesterday from the Azure drop!! YAY!! When would I need to start the fermenting process? Chicks will hatch Easter weekend...

Back
Top Bottom