FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

You may want to thicken that up a wee bit.  I have mine like peanut butter but plan to make it more like cookie dough.

If you keep the feed thicker, like peanut butter or cookie dough, you won't need to drain it. 

You said on the Texas thread you don't have chickens yet. Are you fermenting in preparation for chicks?

Ms Jellybean, if you're getting your new birds this weekend, your FF should be in great shape! I know my FF didn't take any time at all to get started... Are you getting chicks or mature birds?

You are doing much better than me...I have had chickens for a year now and I can't get the ff thing down very well. I have tried different methods and it is either too runny or too thick.

You are doing much better than me...I have had chickens for a year now and I can't get the ff thing down very well.  I have tried different methods and it is either too runny or too thick.
I make it up so it's too dry, to the point you can't really stir it anymore, then pat/smooth it down and pour one inch of water over top. This normally gives the consistency I like. It winds up very light and fluffy

I make it up so it's too dry, to the point you can't really stir it anymore, then pat/smooth it down and pour one inch of water over top. This normally gives the consistency I like. It winds up very light and fluffy

Do any of you use Water Kefir or the whey off of Milk Kefir to ferment? Just thinking that if it can make bread (MK whey) it could possible make for a very good addition to fermented feed (my chicks love my extra WK grains)

Last edited:
I think i need to add more feed to mine. Its very soupy
Just add a little at a time. A small amount of feed can absorb LOTS of water. Stir it in real good then check consistency again in about 6 hours. Play with it until you get it where you want it. I used to keep mine pretty wet and had to strain to feed. Mine is now thick like most everyone else's, grout-like.

Given that chicks vaccinated for cocci should not have medicated feed because they cancel each other out, and given that FF creates a better gut culture (and yes, dilutes the amprollium) it just seemed redundant and unnecessary.

I'm more interested if it's actually harmful?
Yeah, I get that. I just didn't think many people vaccinated for cocci yet. It would be redundant. I doubt it's harmful. If feeding medicated (which is all some people can acquire), one is not supposed to treat with amprolium - (double dosing).

Basically what I do. I mix it fairly wet in the bottom of the bucket, add feed to about 2/3 full and cover it with water to the brim. Usually when it absorbs it all, it's about right and beginning to push up the lid.

Back
Top Bottom