FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

I'm on my second batch of FF for my 4 Sussex pullets. They are 3 weeks old today. They did not dive into the FF like I expected and you can read about in my posts mid April. They started eating it at about 4 days old, they have been going strong ever since. No pasty, all strong and vibrant.

It took me almost 4 weeks (I started it a week before they arrived) to use up my first batch of FF. I just used the chick starter crumbles. It was RIPE by the end of the batch but no harm to them. I back slopped a bit and made a smaller batch as I just can't stand the smell in the morning from about 3 weeks on. I'm thinking the heat of summer will be rough on the nose. The morning gag reflex is a little hard to stifle.
sickbyc.gif

They were about 2 weeks old here. Took their lite outside with them for 15 minutes while I cleaned their condo. They didn't really know what to do out there. This week, at almost 3 weeks they were trying to fly. Had to raise the sides up while they were out there.

No plans to stop the FF and happy to say I found a non GMO/Organic layer feed to move to when they are ready. Not much available around here. The lady I found said she got tired of driving so ordered 2 Tons and will sell it to friend and people like me who find her on Craigslist. I feel lucky she is close by!
thumbsup.gif
It will go into my FF jar when the time comes.

Question about the liquid...

If I do want to go to a thicker mix, what do I do with the extra liquid. (I only want to add so much dry feed to my container in order not to worry about it overflowing and also not to have such a large amount.) Do I just scoop some out and discard it or is there a way to save it for when I need to add liquid back?

Question about the liquid...

If I do want to go to a thicker mix, what do I do with the extra liquid.  (I only want to add so much dry feed to my container in order not to worry about it overflowing and also not to have such a large amount.)  Do I just scoop some out and discard it or is there a way to save it for when I need to add liquid back?

How about you just gradually let it thicken as you remove/replace food? Different brands of feed absorb water differently ... so this might not work for you ...

I was surprised that mine did not swell up as much as I thought it would. Not sure you have to worry about it overflowing if you leave 1/3 of the container empty. I know that doesn't answer your question.

I just dumped my extra liquid in the yard but I wanted mine to stay covered in water so I always left some water. Mine did not grow mold in a month covered in water but the dry edges did. Not sure if that's a concern or not with drier food. I use a sieve to strain mine before I feed it.

I have about 4 inches of water over mine right now since I went back to one container. I'd be happier with it around 1 inch over the feed so that my strainer is not sitting in the water. (Which is why I'd like the bring the entire level down, not just add more food.)

I'd pour the excess liquid into another container to start another batch. I'm assuming there are a lot of goodies in the liquid. After you pour off the liquid, there will be room to add a little more dry food to thicken it up more.
I occasionally have to do that if I misjudge how much water or food I'm putting in. I have five, 5 gallon buckets going at once. I go through more than one a day. I don't wait for it to get completely empty, I just add more feed and water to fill it up and go on to the next bucket.
I put packing tape on each bucket and write the date on it each time I fill a bucket so I know which is the oldest.

I had some very young chicks get balls of feed on their feet, I had to soak them to get off. Very difficult to remove. I changed the feeder--problem solved . I think it can really cause a problem so folks need to watch for it. Mine were on shavings, too. Mine go outside daily now so that really helps, too.
I also had chicks get the balls and they took me 20 min each to get off, they dry like glue/cement. I was using puppy potty pads and then I moved to pine pellets. Tumbleweed Farm what feeders were you using and what did you switch to to stop the issue? Thank you.

I was using the long plastic feeders with the head holes--but open. I was worried it would be hard for them to get to bottom if closed. I closed it and it worked fine. I also spent a lot of time cleaning their feet. If you tug on it at all it makes a hole in their foot (don't ask). Yup I put neosporin on it. It is not easy to clean off feet!:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom