FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

Shouldn't hurt but watch for excessive weight gain and cut feed accordingly, if you can or want to.  If I fed my flock that they'd be waddling within days and panting with every step in the heat of the day. 

Lol... Ok great thanks.... A few of mine are on the thin side so this might help them put on a few pounds.... :)

Quote: $200-300?, I don't think so! But my Nutribullet has a blade for flax seeds,etc. that would work on any dry grains or coffee even. I just see so much waste in the form of the oat hulls after they finish eating that I had to wonder if there was food value in them that could be rescued by grinding. I only have a small flock. Thanks, Linda, a lot of good info for sure.

$200-300?, I don't think so! But my Nutribullet has a blade for flax seeds,etc. that would work on any dry grains or coffee even. I just see so much waste in the form of the oat hulls after they finish eating that I had to wonder if there was food value in them that could be rescued by grinding. I only have a small flock. Thanks, Linda, a lot of good info for sure.

I just bought one of the $33 hand cranked cast iron ones on EBAY. I'm not going to be grinding a lot. I'll try the oats and see if it's worth it. I know that oats will work in a grow bed in the run. We'll see.
big_smile.png

That's something to add to your bucket list......making bread is so elemental and soothing, not to mention tasting better than anything you could possibly buy from any deli out there.  Just kneading the bread seems to connect me down through the ages with women all over the world...bread is pretty much world wide and is made pretty much the same way the world over.  Hands, flour/meal, water, salt, etc.   I grew up watching my mother make bread and also  my grandmother, as they watched their own mothers....there is just something as old as time in the whole process. 

Oh, don't miss out on that experience!  :)

I recently started making my own bread completely by hand! I spend about 20 minutes a week making 2 loaves, one I freeze and one I leave out to eat. Its amazingly therapeutic and rewarding and ive impressed my entire family with how amazing something not bought at the store tastes!
I make a whole wheat bread without any added wheat gluten so its a bit more crumbly than store bread but I love it!

Having one of my eggs cooked over easy on a slice of my bread is a breakfast to die for!

Just had that this morning!
big_smile.png
Along with fried yellow squash, a big ol 'slice of Vidalia onion, hot pepper butter, creamy grits with gravy and raw honey on the bread to finish. Bigger breakfast than I normally fix but it's Sunday and special days get special feasts. Nothing like homemade bread to sop up an egg yolk!

Just had that this morning!  :D   Along with fried yellow squash, a big ol 'slice of Vidalia  onion, hot pepper butter, creamy grits with gravy and raw honey on the bread to finish.  Bigger breakfast than I normally fix but it's Sunday and special days get special feasts.  Nothing like homemade bread to sop up an egg yolk! 

Yummy!!!

Dad makes breakfast on Sundays. It's usually the same ... bacon or sausage and eggs (duck if we have them) toast with homemade jam (today was blueberry rhubarb -- I have a great low-sugar recipe that doesn't use artificial sweeteners, either cuz can't tolerate fake and I like it tart), coffee and I always have lots of water.

It's better if I have homemade bagels ... that's the only bread I make. I don't do that often, though I should! We usually have Dave's Killer Bread instead ... local company that makes great bread for store-bought bread. The company has a great story, too.

I need to learn how to make sourdough bread or bagels. That's my favorite.

I like the idea of some veggies with breakfast. In England the Fry Up has a thick slice of fried tomato. Yum!

Hello all, I've had a batch of fermented feed rolling for about a month. When I came out the other other day, the top looked like this and I stopped using it.

Any ideas on what went wrong? Is this fixable or should I toss the batch like I suspect? And how can I prevent this from happening again?

Back
Top Bottom