FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

Yea i'll have to figure something out cuz they're kicking it out and it's mashed solid on the concrete floor, wedging is a good idea, just another thing for me to have to wrap my brain around.

I can do organic cuz i only have 4 hens so it's ok and it's soy/corn free also. Just concerned about Thelma, i'm sure she eats but i'll put the food down and she'll walk away looking around like she's looking for something else, her crop never looks real full to me but i have my hands full w/human problems so she's just going to have to figure it out :( :(

Don't worry, if plenty is out she will wait until they walk off and come get it.

This is Freckles, I think she is beautiful.

I have my fermented feed feeder on a pallet in my coop. The container is a rectangular ice cream container. I drilled 2 holes in the bottom 5 inches apart and fastened the container to the pallet with a plastic zip tie, permanently. I set another ice cream container (filled with FF) right down in the permanent container. The next day I refill the portable container. They cannot tip this over.

Before I did this, the feed was constantly being spilled. Silly girls!

I have my fermented feed feeder on a pallet in my coop. The container is a rectangular ice cream container. I drilled 2 holes in the bottom 5 inches apart and fastened the container to the pallet with a plastic zip tie, permanently. I set another ice cream container (filled with FF) right down in the permanent container. The next day I refill the portable container. They cannot tip this over.

Before I did this, the feed was constantly being spilled. Silly girls!

That's a clever idea! I could use that for my dog dishes that get scooted all around the room, lol.

Last edited:
You're not ruffling my feathers at all.
big_smile.png
. You xame onto this thread clearly without reading the whole thing, prresented yourself as someone of some sort of authority, and procceded to "efucaye"us. Had you taken the time to read the thread, you would have quickly learned that many of the folks here are INCREDIBLY knowledgeable, including BeeKissed, who gave the information {that was erroneously presented} for that natural keeping blog post that has confused so many people.

When a newcomer comes on to a thread clearly without the benefit of reading it and begins giving advice that is not quite right, it's important to correct that information.

People read stuff and think they are doing something much more sophisticated because they use big words.
big_smile.png
. Some of us like to break it down so folks can understand it. Your feed ferments the same way mine does, lol.

I don't begrudge folks who have 3 buckets for straining and use $$$$ starters and have 50 precisely measured ingredients. They are welcome to make it as complicated and as pricey as they want .
smile.png
Still doesn't mean "the other" way is inferior {as you implied} ir qrong or less fermented goodness.

But ya, I'm not ruffled at all.
big_smile.png
. I do apologixe for typos. I'm on my phone and can't see worth a darn right now.
big_smile.png

Jane, really lighten up. I don't think @BY Chicken Lady came off as an "authority" and never implied that not keeping water over it was inferior. Yes, many of us have been doing FF for a long time, many of us have done tons of research and have read through or been with this thread from the beginning. That doesn't mean we don't welcome newcomers with open arms and everyone is entitled to their opinion of what works for them and what doesn't.

I personally was the one who followed the natural chicken keeping blog and asked on that comment section over and over again about keeping a cover on it. I was told "yes" and I was told to keep water over it. I used a glass jar and tightened down the lid which resulted in an explosion. There is certainly erroneous information out there and the best that we can do is let others know that fact without coming across that our way is the only right way.

She was just offering her guidance of her method to someone who was reaching out for help. Let's keep the peace in this thread
love.gif

Jane, really lighten up. I don't think @BY Chicken Lady came off as an "authority" and never implied that not keeping water over it was inferior. Yes, many of us have been doing FF for a long time, many of us have done tons of research and have read through or been with this thread from the beginning. That doesn't mean we don't welcome newcomers with open arms and everyone is entitled to their opinion of what works for them and what doesn't.

I personally was the one who followed the natural chicken keeping blog and asked on that comment section over and over again about keeping a cover on it. I was told "yes" and I was told to keep water over it. I used a glass jar and tightened down the lid which resulted in an explosion. There is certainly erroneous information out there and the best that we can do is let others know that fact without coming across that our way is the only right way.

She was just offering her guidance of her method to someone who was reaching out for help. Let's keep the peace in this thread
love.gif
Ditto. People are passionate about their fermented feeds. I know that I am. I feel that mine is best but also different strokes. Both methods work. I just go for the easiest.
lau.gif

On a different note, I just bought some really good chickens and also have some hatching. So I'll need to think about increasing my buckets. I work on 2 five gallon ones now. I may do like Kassaudra does and ferment in a 33 gallon trash bin. Get me a paddle for stirring.
gig.gif
Yup that's the ticket. And now I'm hearing about white muscovy ducks like taste like beef. The way the grocery bill is lately I may have to buy me some of them. My family will have me committed.

Last edited:
Everybody reads threads like this. Then they do more research. After that, they start using one method or another. After fermenting for a while, they might do a little tweaking. The next thing you know, they have found what works best for them.

The moral of this whole thread????

Ask 100 flock keepers how they do their FF and you will probably get get 95 slightly different 'proven' ways to prepare and feed FF!

Have a good night everybody!

Ditto. People are passionate about their fermented feeds. I know that I am. I feel that mine is best but also different strokes. Both methods work. I just go for the easiest.
lau.gif

On a different note, I just bought some really good chickens and also have some hatching. So I'll need to think about increasing my buckets. I work on 2 five gallon ones now. I may do like Kassaudra does and ferment in a 33 gallon trash bin. Get me a paddle for stirring.
gig.gif
Yup that's the ticket. And now I'm hearing about white muscovy ducks like taste like beef. The way the grocery bill is lately I may have to buy me some of them. My family will have me committed.

We have so many people on the AZ thread who are turning to ducks. Some are even thinning out their chicken flocks for more ducks!
idunno.gif

What new breeds do you have and what are you hatching out? I am lucky in that I keep chickens illegally so I can't expand my flock. I do have one chicken who has become so loud I may have to rehome so I am hoping to replace her with 2 of a different breed. I didn't do enough research when I started this journey and have 4 RIR's. I would love to have a variety of colors of birds and eggs as well.

Back
Top Bottom