FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

is there an other store you can take your business to?  Starter is about $1 more/bag.

Just stir it up well before you feed it.  Are you seeing a fine sandy grit in the bottom?  That's the calcium product that they add.

Not sure if it is calcium.....maybe part of it. You know maybe my store has bigger bags of starter.....I guess I didn't really look or ask. I was thinking I wouldn't need much for the chicks and just picked up the bag that was on the shelf.

Thanks lazy. I think the nuti-balance is something people use when they make there own feed.....again, I don't know why I bought it, just had money I wanted spend maybe! I agree ....it makes sense to watch how the chickens look for a health guideline. And you are right about all the opinions. I have been thinking about feed and bringing our new chicks out with the flock. Now they are in the coop with Mama and all the birds are in there at nite. But during the day when the other ladies go out I shut Mama and babies in the coop. Partly because of the temps and wetness outside......partly because I don't think they will be able to fly in and out of the coop yet. But the food part of my thought is this. When they do go out to free range with everyone that fermented laying mash will be out there where they can get to it. It is also what the rooster eats. He is doing great and I have to think the chicks will do well, also. I will still feed them chick starter but I'm sure they are going to get mash also. If it was warmer weather they would be eating bugs, too. I think bugs are protein. I just have all these things running thru my mind. I definitely think ff is good. I ferment some of my food for probiotics. But being free ranged and getting scraps and bugs they will never be 100% ff.

I mix my own feed, and I use the Fertrell to make sure the vitamin & mineral intake is adequate. I add it on top with a shaker after I take the FF out of the bucket - initially I tried mixing it in with the grains but it does (soon) create a crusty build-up on any container you put it into when wet. If you're using a pre-mixed feed, you shouldn't need it. Given your location, I *think* we're buying from the same source, and if it's Countryside Organics, their pre-mix already has it in there.

I mix my own feed, and I use the Fertrell to make sure the vitamin & mineral intake is adequate. I add it on top with a shaker after I take the FF out of the bucket - initially I tried mixing it in with the grains but it does (soon) create a crusty build-up on any container you put it into when wet.  If you're using a pre-mixed feed, you shouldn't need it. Given your location, I *think* we're buying from the same source, and if it's Countryside Organics, their pre-mix already has it in there.

Thanks.
Yes the Fertrell and the layer mash is from Countryside. I have bought from Sun Rise and Rockingham, too.

I do have a ferment question.......all that powder I hated in the dry feed has become sludge in the wet feed. Is this just how it is? Or maybe my feed is not fermenting properly or am I feeding too much?

How wet is your feed? Mine is like cookie dough so all the fines in the original dry feed get stirred into and incorporated in the FF.

I use one bucket.......add more feed and water as needed. Sometimes it is drier sometimes more wet. I use a cat litter scoop to scoop out and drain it as I feed the chickens. I know the water does not have to be deep....but I guess I feel if it is too dry that it may not ferment. There is less residue if the food is drier....but like I said will it ferment properly? I mean it is the water that gets bubbly.

Sometimes less water drains out and for sure that leaves more sludge. I will try to drain better.

Last edited:
I don't drain mine, I stir it as well as I can before I dish it up... If it's wasn't so cold I'd be using my FF feeders still... Maybe if you make it wet enough that it's easier to stir, it would incorporate better :/ idk
It's the dust hey? It's not the mother culture settling or something? Sometime mine over flows ( long explanation ) the liquid that comes off is cloudy with a tiny bit of sludge in it...

When I have chicks being raised, I switch the whole flock over to starter, and give the layers extra calcium on the side in the way of oyster shell and crushed egg shell.  For my own flock, and my own desires, the only reason I buy layer is b/c it is cheaper.  If i weren't so frugal with a $, they'd be on starter or multi-flock all the time.

Okay......I bought #50 of chick starter. It is 21% protein. After getting home and opening it I read the label which says it is for meat birds. Does that mean my chicks cannot eat it? Can it be fermented? It is great that it has the protein. It is nonGMO and soyfree, but it is not organic. But my main question is whether it can be fermented because it is more powdery. If it can be then my decision is do I want to pay $28 per #50 for organic or $19.75 per #50 for soyfree nonGMO. I already set out oyster shell for the girls.

I was asking about fermenting it for all the chickens.........but also can the new chicks eat fermented chick starter?

Last edited:
Okay......I bought #50 of chick starter. It is 21% protein. After getting home and opening it I read the label which says it is for meat birds. Does that mean my chicks cannot eat it? Can it be fermented? It is great that it has the protein. It is nonGMO and soyfree, but it is not organic. But my main question is whether it can be fermented because it is more powdery. If it can be then my decision is do I want to pay $28 per #50 for organic or $19.75 per #50 for soyfree nonGMO. I already set out oyster shell for the girls.

I was asking about fermenting it for all the chickens.........but also can the new chicks eat fermented chick starter?

All feed can be fermented. It doesn't matter if it is crumbles, pellets or otherwise. Same method for all. My chicks went on it from Day 1 and have never had anything but fermented, started with chick starter now layer crumbles. They are 18 months old now.

Back
Top Bottom