FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

Yes...it is the consistancy I am thinking of and having a higher % of protein. Grower feed...hmmm
The scratch would likely lower your overall % of protein. I believe it is only around 8% protein. The kind we have around these parts is anyway.

Yes...it is the consistancy I am thinking of and having a higher % of protein. Grower feed...hmmm
I usually have mixed flocks with males and growing birds so I rarely have an entire flock laying so I use a 16% grower and provide oyster shell for layers.
If you want more protein most grower and starter rations are a bit higher than mine. The grains won't do it. Fishmeal would be good too since it has a complete complement of amino acids. The one I use is 60% protein so mixed 10:1 with the 16% gives me 20% for young birds and molters.

The Bryant feed I use is also pretty coarsely ground and I like the consistency it gives much more than that of the Layena pelleted feed I use. But I mix them because I feel the 24% protein in the Bryant is too much for the layers to have all the time.
You're right about that being too high. It's even a bit high for molting birds. 17% is about right the rest of the year.
Excess protein is taxing on both liver and kidneys but also increases ammonia in the feces.

The scratch would likely lower your overall % of protein. I believe it is only around 8% protein. The kind we have around these parts is anyway.
X2
Depends on the makeup. corn is 7-10%, wheat, barley and oats more like 12 but depending on where grown and variety, it can vary quite a bit.
I make my own scratch by buying 50# bags of wheat, oats, barley, BOSS. It's mostly oats in summer. As weather cools I start migrating to the other seeds.

I usually have mixed flocks with males and growing birds so I rarely have an entire flock laying so I use a 16% grower and provide oyster shell for layers.
If you want more protein most grower and starter rations are a bit higher than mine. The grains won't do it. Fishmeal would be good too since it has a complete complement of amino acids. The one I use is 60% protein so mixed 10:1 with the 16% gives me 20% for yo

Can you explain how you figured out the 20%......my brain is not working right now.

Is it ok to add scratch to the ferment? I was thinking if I used the chick starter for the adults it is powdery and the scratch would add some crunch. Do the chickens care about that?
Crimped oats is about 12% protein. Better than 9% scratch. I also add a couple of cups of alfalfa pellets to my 5 gallon bucket. It bumps up the oats protein and also add brighter orange color to eggs. Good for them.

hi I have been feeding FF for about a year. this is the layer mash I am using. I am in a part of NJ where not many people have chickens therefore not much by way of choice of feed. please any thoughts would be helpful if I should add anything

One thing my FF is doing lately is after about a week it's smelling so off that i'm throwing it out and the birds won't eat it either. i use Scratch n Peck crumble and a pellet mixed, stir it daily, blah blah etc. It smells sour good until it starts smelling like dog vomit and i have to throw it out and the hens won't eat it anyway :(

So i guess that i'll just have to make a new batch every week. shrug.

Mine always smells strong but the birds eat it all the same. I'd just refresh it with fresh feed and water and roll on...they will eat it eventually. Never saw a chicken intentionally starve themselves with food sitting in the trough.

Mine always smells strong but the birds eat it all the same. I'd just refresh it with fresh feed and water and roll on...they will eat it eventually. Never saw a chicken intentionally starve themselves with food sitting in the trough.
i think i'll just toss it, they eat the FF with GUSTO now (when it doesn't start stinking like DEATH--not talking about that nice fermented sour smell, this smells off) and they stop eating it when it's like that and i don't blame them, i just won't make as much.

One thing my FF is doing lately is after about a week it's smelling so off that i'm throwing it out and the birds won't eat it either. i use Scratch n Peck crumble and a pellet mixed, stir it daily, blah blah etc. It smells sour good until it starts smelling like dog vomit and i have to throw it out and the hens won't eat it anyway :(

So i guess that i'll just have to make a new batch every week. shrug.
Poor ReillyJ, it seems that you have had trouble with this from day one. I wonder what you are doing different from other folks? How much do you make at a time. It should last for weeks. Just keep adding feed and water and stirring. You're wasting a lot of very good food by throwing it out. Find out what the problem is and change it. For your own sanity.
highfive.gif

Back
Top Bottom