FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

I started with a few cups of organic chick starter in a two gallon jar. Covered it with water and waited a few days. I replace what I take out each day, and cover with water. The natural yeast and bacteria in our environment do the fermenting! I've always kept the water level above the food and I haven't had any mold problems.

This is the same jar I've been using since I got the chicks :)

4 weeks old!

Sorry, I mean, if you use chick starter to make the fermented feed, do you need to provide grit with it? I have some fermented feed ready to go, but I wanted to make sure first - and I don't have any grit.

Last edited:
So...no then? I just wanted to make sure, because I've heard they need grit if you feed ANYTHING other than starter or egg. Thanks!

So...no then? I just wanted to make sure, because I've heard they need grit if you feed ANYTHING other than starter or egg. Thanks!
Grit helps them to digest things such as seeds and insects. If you're only giving them starter pellets or crumble (fermented or not), you won't have to provide grit. Free range chickens will find there own grit and you don't have to provide any. Hope this helps :)

I started with a few cups of organic chick starter in a two gallon jar. Covered it with water and waited a few days. I replace what I take out each day, and cover with water. The natural yeast and bacteria in our environment do the fermenting! I've always kept the water level above the food and I haven't had any mold problems.
This is the same jar I've been using since I got the chicks
smile.png

4 weeks old!

Thanks for the picture! I have been wondering if my fermented feed is okay. It smells sour like I think it should - the only thing that has me slightly concerned is that everytime I go to stir it, I notice that there is a white "layer" of stuff on top of the feed, under the water. It looks like yours has this white-ish layer also. I have been fermenting their feed for 3 weeks since I got them and replace what I use each day, just as you do. So far, so good!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom