FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

X2
Chloramine (what most municipalities use now) has to have the ammonia chlorine bond broken before the chlorine will dissipate. Just sitting in the sun won't do that.
I use tap water conditioner. 3 drops per gallon for chloramine, 1 drop per gallon for chlorine.

X2
Chloramine (what most municipalities use now) has to have the ammonia chlorine bond broken before the chlorine will dissipate. Just sitting in the sun won't do that.
I use tap water conditioner. 3 drops per gallon for chloramine, 1 drop per gallon for chlorine.
Do you know what the chemical/ingredient is in the conditioner?

Reading the entire label, it doesn't say. It is intended for aquariums. Instantly removes chlorine, chloramine and detoxifies heavy metals to make tap water safe for fish.
This is the product.
http://www.apifishcare.com/product.php?id=655
I think this is the active ingredient: sodium thiosulfate, I remember it from my ponding days.
Weird..... the MSDS says it's very toxic to aquatic life.

I couldn't find the MSDS on their site.
It is the ultra concentrated form. Probably not a good idea to use more than the recommended 3 drops.

I'm sure if you used the whole bottle it would kill just about anything.

I use gro2max probiotic powder. I asked them about the chloramine in the water killing the bacteria in the solution. They said it probably would. Then I asked them about de-chlorinating the water first and they said it would depend on what was used for that so any of those chemicals have the potential to kill the bacteria, or fish, or chickens or and elephant.

Too much of a good thing is always a bad thing. Well, almost always.

Last edited:
I couldn't find the MSDS on their site.
It is the ultra concentrated form. Probably not a good idea to use more than the recommended 3 drops.

I'm sure if you used the whole bottle it would kill just about anything.

I use gro2max probiotic powder. I asked them about the chloramine in the water killing the bacteria in the solution. They said it probably would. Then I asked them about de-chlorinating the water first and they said it would depend on what was used for that so any of those chemicals have the potential to kill the bacteria, or fish, or chickens or and elephant.

Too much of a good thing is always a bad thing. Well, almost always.
It was a few clicks away from the link you posted, and not a very clear path....why I linked it directly.

Last edited:
Okay, I have a brain child and questions for the pros :D

It's pumpkin season!!! I'm headed out today for a couple truckloads, and I got this grand idea of using the pumpkins themselves as fermenting vessels.

Pop top, fill, put top back on, let sit in sunshine for a few days, then pop whole pumpkins one at a time into the run for snacking/feeding from..

But its freezing at night :( Is the fact that these are going to freeze going to keep them from growing colonies properly?

It could slow it down, for sure. A better way to feed pumpkins is to let THEM ferment, lose their fluids, convert starches to sugars and the rind/skin grows thin...and then let the chickens have them. They act like sharks at a feeding frenzy!

Try it, though, and let us know how it all went...should be interesting!
thumbsup.gif

Okay, I have a brain child and questions for the pros
big_smile.png

It's pumpkin season!!! I'm headed out today for a couple truckloads, and I got this grand idea of using the pumpkins themselves as fermenting vessels.

Pop top, fill, put top back on, let sit in sunshine for a few days, then pop whole pumpkins one at a time into the run for snacking/feeding from..

But its freezing at night
sad.png
Is the fact that these are going to freeze going to keep them from growing colonies properly?

I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't be ok but I would only use them one time and probably only ferment for 3 days at room temp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortgrass

Okay, I have a brain child and questions for the pros
big_smile.png

But its freezing at night
sad.png
Is the fact that these are going to freeze going to keep them from growing colonies properly?

Like a bread soup bowl...haha!
I would think it would work, I'd keep them out of any freezing temps tho.

I just picked up a bunch of pumpkins/gourds...gonna try to keep them cool, but not frozen, to dole out over the winter.
Have to watch them for rot and feed them out before they go too far.

Oh, am not fermenting feed in them, just another foodstuff.
They love them and eat them right down to the thinnest of the rind.

Back
Top Bottom