FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

I've been fermenting feed a few months now. I've finally gotten to the point where I don't have to weigh and measure to get the right consistency. I no longer wash the crock I'm fermenting in before I backslop and start a new batch, and if the feed separates a bit I add a little dry oatmeal to soak up the liquid in their bowl.

I was so cautious when I started out, didn't want to make my birds sick and all that. Didn't want to waste food either. Now it's so easy!

Thanks to @lazy gardener and @Molpet especially, but to everyone on this thread that answered all my questions. I appreciate all the help from everyone here!

I've been fermenting feed a few months now. I've finally gotten to the point where I don't have to weigh and measure to get the right consistency. I no longer wash the crock I'm fermenting in before I backslop and start a new batch, and if the feed separates a bit I add a little dry oatmeal to soak up the liquid in their bowl.

I was so cautious when I started out, didn't want to make my birds sick and all that. Didn't want to waste food either. Now it's so easy!

Thanks to @lazy gardener and @Molpet especially, but to everyone on this thread that answered all my questions. I appreciate all the help from everyone here!

YVW. To all others who are curious but not quite ready to take the FF plunge: Why not try fermenting a qt. or even a pint of feed. Play with it, see how your birds like it (remember, chickens hate change). Then you will be in a position to decide whether you want to ferment your feed. You can make an informed decision, as you will be familiar with the process, and have actually used FF!

YVW?
We are giving a go, tried about 2 months ago and trying again with our hens. Ducks prefer dry mash. So far doing well with our hens, adding dry layers mash to soak up excess moisture :)

Has Purina changed the formulation of their Flock Raiser brand feed? I just bought a new bag and when I mixed it with water the resulting mash was a light yellowish green (usually it's an olive drab) and the chickens don't seem to like it. They used to finish their mash by the afternoon, now there's still half a day's ration left in their trough the next morning. Even dry they'll eat it only reluctantly. This started the very first day I gave it to them.

Has Purina changed the formulation of their Flock Raiser brand feed? I just bought a new bag and when I mixed it with water the resulting mash was a light yellowish green (usually it's an olive drab) and the chickens don't seem to like it. They used to finish their mash by the afternoon, now there's still half a day's ration left in their trough the next morning. Even dry they'll eat it only reluctantly. This started the very first day I gave it to them.
What't the lot and MFG date?
The one I just bought was over pulverized(dusty) and had some gray clumps in it as well as a few unbroken pellets..... seal band printed with (1?)7SEP19 MFI1

@aart I have the same issue with Dumor Starter/Grower. (Made by Purina) I bought this bag about 3 weeks ago and when fermenting, it is not as dark and my chickens don't finish it every day. The code on the seal band is: 7AUG30STA(2?) It looks like a 2 at the end. Since I started feeding this bag, I am only getting 2 or 3 eggs a day, when I was getting 5 - 7 a day. I know the days are getting shorter, with light but this happened since this bag of feed. I'm wondering if a protien ingredient was left out.

Back
Top Bottom