Fermented Feeds

Thanks @donp, especially for those links. I haven't got to look over them yet but will. As a scientist by trade and home food preserver, some of the advice I'd seen put out was giving me the heeby jeebies. I tried what I was told, though, cuz what do I know about chicken feed? Well, the first batch went bad and was tossed. When I got new babies last weekend, I started a batch based on instructions I found that jived with what I knew based on the microbiology and other classes I've had and, YAY!!, SUCCESS! I fed them their first FF this morning. All of them at least tried it and some loved it :)
I have 2 baby chicks and 5 four week olds I'm giving it to. When I get another container I'm going to start some for my older ones too.

Ok I've been feeding FF for about 4 weeks now and they love it. But in the last couple of weeks 10 out of 18 of my hens have gone broody. Has anyone else notice an increase in broody hens? The ones still laying insist on laying with the broody girls :barnie. I attribute this epidemic to the FF:) as last year I only had 2 broody hens. Normally I have to collect and incubate eggs.

Last edited:
Ok I've been feeding FF for about 4 weeks now and they love it. But in the last couple of weeks 10 out of 18 of my hens have gone broody. Has anyone else notice an increase in broody hens? The ones still laying insist on laying with the broody girls
barnie.gif
. I attribute this epidemic to the FF:) as last year I only had 2 broody hens. Normally I have to collect and incubate eggs.
welcome-byc.gif
Good to have you. Probably has nothing to do with ferment feed. It probably has to do with the very harsh weather we had in winter. Just a thought. I heard a LOT of hens are broody this year. FF or not. Go with the flow and get a lot of babies.

Aloha,

Mahalo to Don for all of your mana'o.

Since the yeast grows on the top, perhaps it is best to ferment in taller skinnier buckets with less surface area. But then I like to scoop the liquidy stuff out of the bottom from the side and cover the top with that stuff. That helps in keeping the yeast down. I think I need to go to 2 buckets to increase fermentation time.

As for brooding, the hens release a hormone in the nesting box and the ones who sit there waiting long time for the egg smell plenty of the hormone then they get sucked in. No can leave. 'as why hard.

Take care, Puhi

Thanks so much for the fermented feed advice. I am a newbie, my mixed 7 bird flock of pullets love the fermented feed and in one day the poop changed to a nice firm consistency. I used unmedicated chick feed covered with water for three days and served on day four. THANKS AGAIN.

Thanks so much for the fermented feed advice. I am a newbie, my mixed 7 bird flock of pullets love the fermented feed and in one day the poop changed to a nice firm consistency. I used unmedicated chick feed covered with water for three days and served on day four. THANKS AGAIN.
welcome-byc.gif
Great to have you. I love FF. I don't even bother to cover with water. I'm lazy
gig.gif
I just mix it up to the consistancy of thick oatmeal and let it go. Saves money and is so easy. I don't have to refill the waterers as often either.

I have been fermenting the leftover Scratch and Peck and my biggies like it as long as it isn't soggy. So I drain it in a seive but it is kind of wasteful as half it dries, soooo. I'm interested in this drier method.
I have a batch about a week old - just keep stirring? Or should I feed it some sugar if I'm not adding new Scratch and Peck (because I have to start a second batch)?
Thanks for the help.

I have seven pullets. I make a small quantity each night. One cup of feed to water mixed thoroughly and slightly covering the feed. (I've already done the four day). This goes into a small container which has a little leftover fermented feed. (I do not wash this container.) This gives me about 2 cups of feed the next morning. If it's too runny, I place it in the feeder and just add some dry feed. I make 2 of these (a day apart) and always have one cooking, and the one I'm feeding is always 2 days old. I feed this 2 x a day, plus they graze in a fenced yard and get treats. I don't know a lot about chicken fermented feed; however, I have done sourdough for years. You know, the stuff that got the pioneers across the plains. That is made of flour (some grain if you like), sugar, and milk or water. I only use a little sugar to start a brand knew batch or to revitalize a batch that has been in the refrigerator a long time without being used. You would never keep that starter going with just sugar, always need a starch. I wouldn't add sugar to chicken starter, I don't think it's good for them and you're making starter everyday so it is very alive and active.

I have been fermenting the leftover Scratch and Peck and my biggies like it as long as it isn't soggy. So I drain it in a seive but it is kind of wasteful as half it dries, soooo. I'm interested in this drier method.
I have a batch about a week old - just keep stirring? Or should I feed it some sugar if I'm not adding new Scratch and Peck (because I have to start a second batch)?
Thanks for the help.

Don't add sugar. The batch that is a week old, just add some more feed to get it to a drier consistency. Why aren't you adding new S&P to that batch? You shouldn't need to start a second batch, just get your original batch to where it is like grout or cooked oatmeal. I have been using the same bucket for over 8 months. I add feed and water when it starts to get low, add in enough for about 5 days of feedings. I just add enough water that it is moist, not soupy. It is fermented by the following day. I continue this process over and over again.

It might be over a week old - they stopped liking it the last 4 days. I tried adding more scratch and peck and then also mixing some dry in for better consistency on the plate. They just pick at it and Leave lots of uneaten.
I read that at some point the stuff loses it's nutritional value - maybe this batch is at that point. Which is why I was considering starting a new batch. I didn't let it ferment for the 4 days initially, just 1 day.

Back
Top Bottom