Fermented Food Molding

whittleah

Chirping
Mar 3, 2022
I’ve been soaking feed for my laying hens for several weeks now. They absolutely love it. But all of a sudden Ive started having issues with it molding and smelling horrible. I didn’t change anything with my process. I put the food in a bucket and cover it with water and loosely with a lid and soak for 24 hours. When I go to feed it in the morning, it’s covered with gray mold and smells HORRIBLE like a rotting animal. What am I doing wrong??

I’ve been soaking feed for my laying hens for several weeks now. They absolutely love it. But all of a sudden Ive started having issues with it molding and smelling horrible. I didn’t change anything with my process. I put the food in a bucket and cover it with water and loosely with a lid and soak for 24 hours. When I go to feed it in the morning, it’s covered with gray mold and smells HORRIBLE like a rotting animal. What am I doing wrong??
Pictures?
Sometimes yeast forms on top of the ferment and it makes a pretty strong smell.

Depending on temp it may be fermenting faster. Dump it and clean the bucket thoroughly, then check the ferment after 12 hours.
Hmm. Okay. That might actually make sense because I started out doing it in the house which is much cooler. Then I moved it to the garage since that’s where I keep my dry feed and is also much warmer.

Yup, t
Hmm. Okay. That might actually make sense because I started out doing it in the house which is much cooler. Then I moved it to the garage since that’s where I keep my dry feed and is also much warmer.
yup, temp seems to make a big difference! Also, My hens love the mash (all flock) as long as its not older then 12 hours fermented. My rooster doesn’t want it at all, no matter how wet, dry or old it is…..

Back
Top Bottom