Fermenting Feed for Large Flock

About half full, maybe a bit more. It's best to start small so the buckets don't overflow as the feed expands.
A lot depends on the type of feed. Most of the time I'm using a coarsely ground organic grower that has a fair amount of whole seeds in it.
When I use crumbles or pellets, it doesn't seem to grow as much.

It can easily double or triple, so keep that in mind as you put feed in your 5 gallon bucket. :)

my small flock of 10 were eating about a quart and a half of fermented feed a day....now that the heat has increased they are down to under a quart. I make a thicker mash without water covering the top and backfill daily. With the consistency of my mash (equal parts water and layers crumble) it would never flow thru a spigot of any type.

I've got 50 chickens. I've been doing fermented feed for about 2 years now and I use a large rubber feed can. We just add more grains and water when it gets low. Stir with the shovel every morning before scooping out to feed.

I've got 50 chickens. I've been doing fermented feed for about 2 years now and I use a large rubber feed can. We just add more grains and water when it gets low. Stir with the shovel every morning before scooping out to feed.
Do you ever have an issue with mold?

Back
Top Bottom